Can X be its own inverse in a residue system?

In summary: We can take Y = X^{S-T-1} and get the desired result.In summary, we can show that if x is relatively prime to n, there exists an integer y such that x*y is congruent to 1 (mod n). This can be proven by showing that (1-xy) is a multiple of n, and that the powers of x eventually repeat in a residue system, allowing us to find an integer y that satisfies the congruence.
mets19
Hi all,
Supppose that n > 0 and 0 < x < n are integers and x is relatively prime to n, show that there is an integer y with the property:
x*y is congruent to 1 (mod n)

I have attempted the following, I am not sure if I am on the right track:
1 = xy + qn which implies 1 - xy = qn
n|(1-xy) which implies q(1-xy) = n
so if I divide q in the first equation i get [tex]\frac{1-xy}{q}[/tex]=n which is equal to q(1-xy)=n.

Thanks in advance
Maunil

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mets19 said:
Hi all,
Supppose that n > 0 and 0 < x < n are integers and x is relatively prime to n, show that there is an integer y with the property:
x*y is congruent to 1 (mod n)

I have attempted the following, I am not sure if I am on the right track:
1 = xy + qn which implies 1 - xy = qn

There you go!
1-xy=qn implies 1-xy=0 (mod n), hence 1=xy (mod n).

mets19 said:
n|(1-xy) which implies q(1-xy) = n
so if I divide q in the first equation i get [tex]\frac{1-xy}{q}[/tex]=n which is equal to q(1-xy)=n.

Thanks in advance
Maunil

No, n|(1-xy) implies (1-xy)=kn for some k, which you already knew.

Another way to look at this is to remember that the elements of a residue system are always less than N.

If we look at the powers of X they must come to repeat and [tex] X^S \equiv X^T Mod N [/tex] Since X is relatively prime to N we can cancel out powers of X.

This gives [tex]X^{S-T} \equiv 1 Mod N [/tex] Assuming S is the larger value, we can not have S-T = 1 unless X is its own inverse.

Thus S-T = 2 or more, and [tex] X^{S-T-1} \equiv X^{-1} Mod N. [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Can X be its own inverse in a residue system?

1. What are relative primes?

Relative primes are two numbers that do not have any common factors other than 1. This means that they do not share any common divisors besides 1, making them relatively prime to each other.

2. How do you determine if two numbers are relatively prime?

To determine if two numbers are relatively prime, you can find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of the two numbers. If the GCD is 1, then the numbers are relatively prime. Another method is to list out the factors of each number and see if they have any common factors besides 1.

3. What is the significance of relative primes in number theory?

Relative primes are important in number theory because they help us understand the relationships between numbers and their factors. They also play a crucial role in solving mathematical problems involving fractions, equations, and cryptography.

4. What is the concept of mod in relation to relative primes?

Mod, short for modulus, is a mathematical operation that determines the remainder when one number is divided by another. In relation to relative primes, mod is used to find the least positive remainder when dividing two numbers. If the remainder is 1, then the two numbers are relatively prime.

5. How are relative primes and mod used in cryptography?

In cryptography, relative primes and mod are used in the RSA algorithm, which is a commonly used method for secure communication. The algorithm involves finding two large prime numbers that are relatively prime to each other, and then using mod to encrypt and decrypt messages. This ensures that the original message can only be decrypted by someone who knows the two prime numbers.