Can we have a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 atomic orbital

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of superscript and subscript in spectroscopic notation and how they relate to the total angular momentum of a state. It is mentioned that the superscript 1 does not mean that a state can only hold one particle, but rather it represents the spin multiplicity. It is also noted that the notation 3S0 may be incorrect as it implies that adding nothing to something equals zero, which is not possible.
Jamiemma1995
I have a belief from something I read on the internet that the superscript 1 means that this is a singlet state so it can only hold one particle but then say 3^S_0 is a triplet so it could hold three. Then the first state I mentioned couldn't have a particle and an antiparticle in it , but the second could . Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamiemma1995 said:
I have a belief from something I read on the internet

Please give a specific reference; "something I read on the Internet" is not sufficient.

Your may have misinterpreted what you read on the internet. It looks like you are quoting spectroscopic notation in which the meaning of subscripts and superscripts has to do with total angular momentum not the number of particles in a given state. Specifically in 1S0, the superscript "1" is the spin multiplicity ##2S+1## which means that the total spin is ##S = 0##, the letter "S" means that the total orbital angular momentum is ##L=0## and the subscript "0" means the spin and orbital angular momenta add to give ##J=0##. I don't think 3S0 can exist because it implies that, while ##S=1## and ##L=0##, their sum is ##J=0##. When you are adding nothing to something you should always get something, even in quantum mechanics!

Related to Can we have a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 atomic orbital

1. Can a proton and an antiproton occupy the same atomic orbital?

Yes, a proton and an antiproton can occupy the same atomic orbital as long as they have opposite spins.

2. What is the significance of the 1^S_0 atomic orbital?

The 1^S_0 atomic orbital is the lowest energy state for a single electron in an atom. It is also known as the ground state.

3. How does the presence of a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital affect the atom?

The presence of a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital can lead to annihilation, where the particles collide and release energy in the form of gamma rays. This can destabilize the atom and lead to its decay.

4. Can we create an atom with a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital?

Yes, it is possible to create an atom with a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital through a process called antiprotonic helium formation. This involves trapping an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital of a helium atom.

5. What is the current research on the behavior of a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital?

Current research is focused on studying the properties and interactions of antiprotonic atoms, including those with a proton and an antiproton in the 1^S_0 orbital. This research has potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics and antimatter technology.