Can we get to the desired relation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler equation for a functional and how to obtain the desired result. The speaker explains the steps they took to derive the equation and asks for feedback on their result. Another speaker points out a mistake and provides the correct equation. In the end, it is determined that the result is close to the desired equation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Wave)

I want to show that the Euler equation for the functional $J(y)= \int_a^b f(x,y) \sqrt{1+y'^2}dx$ has the form:

$$f_y-f_xy'-\frac{fy''}{1+y'^2}=0$$$$L(x,y,y')= f(x,y) \sqrt{1+y'^2} dx$$

Substituting $L_y(x,y,y')=f_y(x,y) \sqrt{1+y'^2}, \ L_{y'}(x,y,y')= f(x,y) \frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}$, I got the following:$$f_y(1+y'^2)-f_x y'- f y''+ \frac{f (y')^2}{(1+y'^2)}=0$$

Can we get from this relation to the desired one, or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
$$f_y(1+y'^2)-f_x y'- f y''+ \frac{f (y')^2}{(1+y'^2)}=0$$

Can we get from this relation to the desired one, or have I done something wrong? (Thinking)

Hey! (Blush)

I think there is something wrong in your result. (Sadface)

I think we should have:
\begin{aligned}
L_y - \d {} x L_{y'} &= f_y\sqrt{1+y'^2} - \d {} x\left(f \cdot \frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right) \\
&= f_y\sqrt{1+y'^2} - (f_x + f_yy')\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}} - f \d {} x\left(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right) \\
&= f_y\left(\sqrt{1+y'^2} - y'\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right) - f_x\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}} - f \d {} x\left(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right) \\
&= 0 \end{aligned}
Multiply by $\sqrt{1+y'^2}$ to get:
$$\Rightarrow
f_y\left((1+y'^2) - y'y'\right) - f_xy' - f \sqrt{1+y'^2}\d {} x\left(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right)
= 0 \\
\Rightarrow
f_y - f_xy' - f \sqrt{1+y'^2}\d {} x\left(\frac{y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}}\right)
= 0$$

Hey! That is almost what we want! (Wait)

Related to Can we get to the desired relation?

1. Can we predict the outcome of a relationship?

Prediction of a relationship is possible to some extent, but it depends on various factors such as the type of relationship, the individuals involved, and the external factors that may affect the relationship. Scientific methods like statistical analysis and experimental studies can help in predicting the outcome of a relationship, but it is not always accurate.

2. How do we measure the strength of a relationship?

The strength of a relationship can be measured using various scientific methods such as surveys, questionnaires, and observational studies. These methods can provide quantitative data that can be analyzed to determine the level of correlation and the strength of the relationship. Additionally, the quality of the relationship, such as trust and communication, can also be assessed to understand its strength.

3. Can we control the outcome of a relationship?

While we can influence the outcome of a relationship through our actions and behaviors, it is not entirely possible to control it. Relationships involve two or more individuals, and each person's thoughts, feelings, and actions play a role in the relationship's outcome. However, by understanding the dynamics of a relationship and making conscious efforts to improve it, we can positively influence the relationship's direction.

4. How do external factors affect a relationship?

External factors such as social norms, cultural beliefs, and economic status can have a significant impact on a relationship. These factors can influence the individuals' behavior, communication, and decision-making, which, in turn, can affect the relationship's dynamics. Understanding and addressing these external factors can help in building stronger and healthier relationships.

5. Is it possible to repair a damaged relationship?

Yes, it is possible to repair a damaged relationship. However, it requires effort, willingness, and effective communication from both parties involved. Identifying the root cause of the damage, acknowledging mistakes, and actively working towards resolving conflicts can help in repairing a damaged relationship. Seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor can also be beneficial in the process of repairing a relationship.