Can We Extend Joint Gaussian Distributions to Higher Dimensions Using Tensors?

In summary, for higher dimensions, the joint Gaussian can be defined as a function of the double dot product. However, there are some possible problems with notation and defining the inverse and determinant of Q. The determinant of Q can be written as a product of its eigenvalues.
John Creighto
For vectors we can define the Joint Guasian as follows:

[tex]f_X(x_1, \dots, x_N) = \frac {1} {(2\pi)^{N/2}|\Sigma|^{1/2}} \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2} ( x - \mu)^\top \Sigma^{-1} (x - \mu) \right)[/tex]

Now what if [tex](x - \mu)[/tex] is a matrix [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma[/tex] is an order four covariance matrix [tex]Q[/tex] between ellements of [tex]A[/tex]. Can we define a higher dimensional version of the joint gausian in terms of the double dot product as follows:

[tex]f_X(x_1, \dots, x_N) = \frac {1} {(2\pi)^{N/2}|Q|^{1/2}} \exp \left( -\frac{1}{2} ( A - \bar A)^T : Q^{-1} : (A - \bar A) \right)[/tex]

What I see as possible problems are perhaps [tex](2\pi)^{N/2}[/tex] should be [tex](2\pi)^{N^2/2}[/tex]

The transpose operator is ambiguous so maybe index notation is necessary, although the double dot notation seems much neater.

I understand in index notation repeated indices are summed so should I write:

[tex][ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)} [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{m,n}[/tex]

instead of:

[tex]( A - \bar A)^T : Q^{-1} : (A - \bar A) [/tex]

Or maybe just get rid of the transpose operator?

Finally how well is the inverse and determinant of Q defined?

Is [tex]Q^{-1}[/tex] defined so that [tex]Q:Q=I[/tex] where [tex]I[/tex] is rank four and is [tex]1[/tex] on the diagonal and [tex]0[/tex] is every where else?

Other notation issues:

is

[tex][ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)} [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{(m,n)}[/tex]

equivalent to:

[tex] [Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[A - \bar A]^{(m,n)}[ A - \bar A]^{(i,j)}[/tex]

Seems like it should be for the case that [tex]Q[/tex] is symmetric but not in general.

Maybe subscrips on indicies would be a good way to define transposes:

so [tex][Q^{-1}]^{(i_2,j_1,m,n)}[/tex] would be [tex][Q^{-1}]^{(i,j,m,n)}[/tex] with the first two indicies permuted (I'm sure this isn't the standard convention. Also note I haven't taken any courses that cover tensors so my knowledge is quite limited.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lastly, can the determinant of Q be written as a product of its eigenvalues?Yes, the determinant of Q can be written as a product of its eigenvalues.

Related to Can We Extend Joint Gaussian Distributions to Higher Dimensions Using Tensors?

1. What is a Joint Gaussian With Tensors?

A Joint Gaussian With Tensors is a statistical model used in machine learning and data analysis. It combines a multivariate Gaussian distribution with tensor algebra to model complex relationships between variables in a dataset.

2. How is a Joint Gaussian With Tensors different from a regular Gaussian distribution?

Unlike a regular Gaussian distribution, a Joint Gaussian With Tensors takes into account multiple variables and their interactions, rather than just one variable. This makes it a more powerful tool for analyzing complex datasets.

3. What are the applications of Joint Gaussian With Tensors?

Joint Gaussian With Tensors can be applied in various fields, such as computer vision, natural language processing, and recommender systems. It is particularly useful for tasks that involve high-dimensional data and complex relationships between variables.

4. What are the advantages of using a Joint Gaussian With Tensors?

One of the main advantages of a Joint Gaussian With Tensors is its ability to capture complex dependencies between variables, which may not be possible with traditional statistical models. It also allows for more accurate predictions and can handle high-dimensional datasets without overfitting.

5. Are there any limitations to using Joint Gaussian With Tensors?

One limitation of Joint Gaussian With Tensors is that it may be computationally expensive, especially for large datasets. It also requires a large amount of training data to accurately capture the underlying relationships between variables. Additionally, it may not be suitable for datasets with non-linear relationships between variables.