Can Trig Identities Help with Evaluating a Double Integral?

In summary, if you don't know how to draw the function, you can reverse the order of integration and use the outer limits to determine the limits.
sikrut
Evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int_0^\pi \int_x^\pi \frac{sin(y)}{y} [/tex]

Look, I've been at this problem for near an hour and a half. I've tried by parts, but I just get stuck in a loop. And I can't think of any way to do this. I've been reading things about taylor expanding it in order to integrate, but that is not something we covered in this course, and is not how it will be expected to be integrated on the test.

Is there a way, with the use of some algebra, where we could utilize a trig identity?

Likes Yola rolanda
Physics news on Phys.org
sikrut said:
Evaluate the integral:

[tex]\int_0^\pi \int_x^\pi \frac{sin(y)}{y} [/tex]

Look, I've been at this problem for near an hour and a half. I've tried by parts, but I just get stuck in a loop. And I can't think of any way to do this. I've been reading things about taylor expanding it in order to integrate, but that is not something we covered in this course, and is not how it will be expected to be integrated on the test.

Is there a way, with the use of some algebra, where we could utilize a trig identity?

You forgot the ##dydx## in your integral, which is important. You need to draw the region and reverse the order of integration.

ahhhhh. I thought that, but was not quite sure.

Do you know of a mathematical approach to reversing the orders, rather than the graphical method?

Or at least, could you walk me through the process of drawing it out and picking my new constraints? I haven't had much practice with it, and my professor does a terrible job and explaining anything.

define the function

[tex]\text{Si}(x)=\int_0^x \dfrac{\sin(t)}{t} \mathop{\text{dt}}[/tex]

Which is a well known and tabulated function called sine integral.

Then we have

[tex]\int_0^\pi \int_x^\pi \dfrac{\sin(y)}{y} \mathop{\text{dy}} \mathop{\text{dx}}=\int_0^\pi (\text{Si}(\pi)-\text{Si}(x)) \mathop{\text{dx}}=\pi \text{Si}(\pi)-\int_0^\pi \text{Si}(x) \mathop{\text{dx}}[/tex]

then integrate by parts

Likes S chethan
The 'graphical method' is the method. Try and draw the domain of integration. It's just a triangle that is the upper half of a square. If you want to get the answer without using the Si function, integrate over the whole square and then subtract the integral over the lower half of the square. Both are pretty easy.

sikrut said:
ahhhhh. I thought that, but was not quite sure.

Do you know of a mathematical approach to reversing the orders, rather than the graphical method?

Or at least, could you walk me through the process of drawing it out and picking my new constraints? I haven't had much practice with it, and my professor does a terrible job and explaining anything.

Your inside limits are ##y=x## and ##y=\pi##. Nothing tricky about drawing those two lines and then, according to the outer limits, taking the part where ##0\le x \le \pi##. You should always draw the region and use the picture to determine the limits when reversing the order of integration.

Ahhhh. The reason I've always been hesitant to draw it out, because I was under the impression that I would have had to draw out the function itself and compare it with the line of its constraints. And I have no idea how to draw practically any of the functions that we're assigned to integrate.

I appreciate all the help! It seems so easy now, like I've been stressing over the simple things...

Related to Can Trig Identities Help with Evaluating a Double Integral?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It is a type of definite integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane.

2. How is a double integral of sin(x)/x calculated?

The double integral of sin(x)/x can be calculated by first finding the indefinite integral, which is sin(x)/x^2. Then, the limits of integration must be determined and the function is integrated with respect to both variables (x and y) over the given region. This results in a numerical value representing the area under the surface.

3. What is the significance of the double integral of sin(x)/x?

The double integral of sin(x)/x is significant in mathematics and physics because it is a solution to many real-world problems involving two-dimensional surfaces, such as calculating work, finding the center of mass, and determining electric or gravitational fields.

4. Are there any practical applications of the double integral of sin(x)/x?

Yes, the double integral of sin(x)/x has many practical applications. For example, it is used in engineering to calculate the moments of inertia of objects, in economics to determine the value of a certain commodity, and in statistics to find the probability of a certain event occurring.

5. Can the double integral of sin(x)/x be solved using other methods?

Yes, the double integral of sin(x)/x can be solved using other methods such as using polar coordinates or using specialized software or calculators. These methods may be more efficient or accurate in certain situations, but the fundamental principles of integration still apply.