Can this neutrino be detected via a CC weak interaction?

In summary, a tau neutrino with energy 1GeV interacts with a stationary neutron and can be detected via a charged current interaction. The energy threshold for the charged current interaction to be possible is an important factor to consider. The concept of a virtual particle and its mass should not be used in this scenario. Instead, focus on the initial and final particles involved.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A tau neutrino with energy 1GeV interacts with a stationary neutron. Can the neutrino be detected via a charged current interaction?

Take the mass of tau to be 1784MeV/c##^2##, 105MeV/c##^2## for the muon and 939MeV/##c^2## for the neutron.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got no idea what the criteria for detection via a weak interaction are, and it proved very difficult to google. Is there an energy threshold the neutrino has to reach to be detectable? As in should I be saying something like: it doesn't have 83GeV of energy, i.e. the equivalent of the mass of a W boson, so it can't create one? I know tha's wrong, the boson is virtual so doesn't have to have that mass - do I use the uncertainty principle to work out what the energy of the virtual boson would be?

I feel like I've missed some really important concept here, any help would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: There is an energy threshold for the CC interaction to be possible.

Don't even think about the W here. Just consider the initial versus final particles.

A virtual particle does not have a well-defined mass. In this case, the "mass" of the W can be a lot different from the mass of a real (non-virtual) W.

Related to Can this neutrino be detected via a CC weak interaction?

1. What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that is electrically neutral and has a very small mass. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe, along with protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. What is a CC weak interaction?

A CC (charged-current) weak interaction is a type of particle interaction that involves the exchange of a W boson and results in the change of one type of particle into another. In the case of a neutrino, a CC weak interaction can cause it to change into a different type of neutrino or another particle entirely.

3. How can a neutrino be detected via a CC weak interaction?

A neutrino can be detected via a CC weak interaction by observing the products of the interaction. When a neutrino interacts with a particle, it produces a charged lepton (such as an electron or muon) and a corresponding neutrino. By detecting the charged lepton, we can infer that a neutrino must have interacted with it via a CC weak interaction.

4. Why is detecting neutrinos via a CC weak interaction important?

Detecting neutrinos via a CC weak interaction is important because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of neutrinos. Neutrinos are elusive particles that are difficult to detect, but they play a crucial role in many astrophysical processes and can provide valuable information about the universe.

5. What techniques are used to detect neutrinos via a CC weak interaction?

There are several techniques that can be used to detect neutrinos via a CC weak interaction. One method is to use large detectors, such as water or ice Cherenkov detectors, that can detect the light produced by the charged lepton in the interaction. Another method is to use scintillation detectors, which can detect the light produced by the charged lepton as well as the energy deposited by the neutrino in the detector material. Other techniques include using specialized detectors, such as liquid argon time projection chambers, or observing the products of neutrino interactions in natural settings, such as in the Earth's atmosphere or in supernovae explosions.