Can this machine handle increased torque?

In summary, the mixer has a 7.5HP motor with a gear/sprocket on the shaft that drives a chain to the mixing arms that rotate at 60RPM. The mixer is made of metal that is scored but doesn't appear to be worn down. The mixer is left to me, the non-engineer, to figure out if it is feasible to upgrade to a 30HP motor and reduce the speed of the mixing blades.
amuderick
I have a big, old horizontal blade mixer. There is no indication as to who manufactured it. No clue what year it was made...somewhere between 1910 and 1952. It currently has a 7.5HP motor. I tried mixing my viscoelastic goo. The ammeter showed the motor drawing about 2.5x the maximum rated current (and whining like no tomorrow!) until I shut it down. Empty, the machine draws about 30% of the maximum current.

Through various means, I have estimated that I need about 15-20HP to mix my goo. A modern 30HP motor is the same frame size as the old 7.5HP unit. So I plan to upgrade from 7.5HP to 30HP. That should give me some margin as well. I'll install a variable frequency drive to reduce the speed of the mixing blades from current 65RPM to about 20RPM. That should help reduce some of the viscoelastic pushback from the material and reduce forces on the mixing blades.

I am trying to figure out if this is even feasible. I have had two process engineering firms look at it and walk...they don't want to take a chance on it...and the job is too small for them to be interested in chance. They'd much rather spec out a new $150,000 machine for me.

So, it is left to me, the non-engineer, former computer science guy, to figure out if I am better off selling it and getting a different machine vs. giving it a try.

The 7.5HP motor runs at 1800RPM and a gear/sprocket on the shaft drives a 3" wide steel chain. The chain delivers power to a gear on a shaft. Then power goes through a series of gears (my guess is a 3:1 and a 10:1) until the mixing arms rotate at ~60RPM. The drive shafts are about 2 1/2" diameter.

I don't know exactly what type of metal/alloy anything is made of. The gears look pretty good once I removed 60 years of gummed up crud from them. They are kind of golden colored metal when clean. A screwdriver doesn't scratch them. They don't appear to be scored or worn down. An occassional nick or cracked tooth is all I found.

I am willing to chance breaking gears and shafts. I just really don't want to break the sigma mixing blades since they cost more to replace than what I paid for the machine.

BTW, someone suggested to me that the mixing blades and bowl were mild steel.

How do I even start? It seems like step 1 is to figure if the shafts and gears can take the load. Step 2 is more complicated math to figure if the sigma blades can handle the forces applied to them.

Your expertise is appreciated! I love to learn and I love to tinker.

I attached some photos to put things in perspective.

Attachments

• mixe 3.jpg
    mixe 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 414
  • mixe 6.jpg
    mixe 6.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 416
  • mixe7.jpg
    mixe7.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 434
Engineering news on Phys.org
To make a long story short, you will need to do some basic machine design calculations for the shaft, gears, and blades.

A very good reference for this is Machine Design chapters in: "Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam" by Lindeburg. Machinery's Handbook is also a good source.

Related to Can this machine handle increased torque?

1. Can this machine handle increased torque?

The answer to this question depends on the specific machine in question. Some machines are designed to handle higher levels of torque than others, so it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or an engineer to determine the maximum torque capacity of the machine.

2. How do I know if a machine can handle increased torque?

To determine if a machine can handle increased torque, you will need to know the maximum torque capacity of the machine and compare it to the amount of torque that will be applied. You can also consult an engineer or perform torque testing to ensure the machine can handle the increased torque.

3. What are the consequences of applying too much torque to a machine?

If a machine is not designed to handle increased torque and it is applied anyway, it can result in damage to the machine or even cause it to malfunction. This can lead to costly repairs, downtime, and potential safety hazards.

4. Can a machine be modified to handle increased torque?

In some cases, a machine can be modified or retrofitted to handle increased torque. However, this should only be done by a qualified engineer or with the approval of the manufacturer to ensure the modifications are safe and will not compromise the integrity of the machine.

5. Is there a limit to how much torque a machine can handle?

Yes, every machine has a maximum torque capacity that it can safely handle. It is important to determine this limit and not exceed it to avoid potential damage or safety hazards. Operating a machine beyond its maximum torque capacity can also void any warranties or insurance coverage.