Can the problem about relative motion be solved without using calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem from chapter 4 of Serway without using calculus. The solution for part c is usually done using calculus, but the combined velocity can also be found by making a maximum angle away from the stream's flow. The recommended approach is to draw a vector diagram with the stream velocity and all possible boat velocities, and then fix the tail of the boat velocity vector to the tip of the stream velocity vector and rotate it to find the combined velocity vector with the maximum angle.
issacnewton
I have posted the problem and and the solution of part a,b,c in file 1.doc. This is problem
from ch. 4 of serway. It doesn't yet assume calculus. I have question about the part c.
I did it using calculus. but the book's solution uses the kind of arguments which i am not able to understand. Is it possible to solve the part c without using calculus.

thanks

Attachments

• 1.doc
    58.5 KB · Views: 166
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi IssacNewton,

IssacNewton said:
I have posted the problem and and the solution of part a,b,c in file 1.doc. This is problem
from ch. 4 of serway. It doesn't yet assume calculus. I have question about the part c.
I did it using calculus. but the book's solution uses the kind of arguments which i am not able to understand. Is it possible to solve the part c without using calculus.

thanks

Yes, part c can be done without using calculus. Please show your attempt and I or someone else can help you.

hi al

I think the combined velocity has to make the minimum angle with the direction which is perpendicular to the stream... in that case we can guarantee that the distance traveled downstream will be minimum... but I don't see how to avoid calculus again...

thanks

IssacNewton said:
hi al

I think the combined velocity has to make the minimum angle with the direction which is perpendicular to the stream... in that case we can guarantee that the distance traveled downstream will be minimum... but I don't see how to avoid calculus again...

thanks

That's right, and another way to say that is that the combined velocity you are looking for is the one that makes a maximum angle away from the stream's flow.

So what are all these possible combined velocities? I would suggest when you draw your vector diagram, draw the stream velocity first, and then think about adding all possible boat velocities (the speed is set, so you can only vary the boat's velocity angle) to that. What do you get?

There are still a few more steps; does that help?

hi al

yes , basically we have to increase the angle of combined velocity vector with the stream velocity vector... I see what you are saying... now the diagrams given in my attachment are making some sense...so basically we fix the tail of boat velocity vector to the tip of the stream velocity vector and then rotate this boat vector, so that the combined velocity vector makes maximum angle with the stream velocity vector...I see where the argument is going...let me think on these lines...

Related to Can the problem about relative motion be solved without using calculus?

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the perspective of an observer and the frame of reference used to measure the motion.

2. How is relative motion different from absolute motion?

Relative motion considers the movement of an object in relation to another object, while absolute motion refers to the movement of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference, such as the Earth.

3. What is the importance of understanding relative motion?

Understanding relative motion is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It helps us analyze and predict the motion of objects and enables us to make accurate measurements and calculations.

4. Can relative motion be applied in everyday life?

Yes, relative motion can be observed and applied in everyday life. For example, when sitting in a moving vehicle, the objects outside the window appear to be moving in the opposite direction, which is an example of relative motion.

5. How can relative motion be calculated or measured?

Relative motion can be calculated or measured by using mathematical equations and considering the velocities, directions, and frames of reference of the objects involved. It can also be observed and measured using tools such as motion sensors or cameras.