Can the number of edges determine isomorphism in graphs?

In summary, the question is whether proving the graphs G and G' have the same number of edges is enough to prove they are isomorphic. The answer is no, as there can be counterexamples. To prove isomorphism, a function needs to be defined between the two graphs that preserves edges.
AlbertEinstein
Hi all,

If I have to prove that the graph G and its complement G' are isomorphic, then is it enough to prove that both G and G' will have the same number of edges. Intuitively its clear to me, but how do I prove this. If there's a counterexample, please post.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AlbertEinstein said:
Hi all,

If I have to prove that the graph G and its complement G' are isomorphic, then is it enough to prove that both G and G' will have the same number of edges. Intuitively its clear to me, but how do I prove this. If there's a counterexample, please post.

Thanks in advance.

That is certainly not enough. Consider the graphs of four vertices and three edges. They are not isomorphic to each of their complements.
To prove an isomorphism you will need to define a function f : G --> G' such that an edge between [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] implies that there is an edge between [tex]f(v_1)[/tex] and [tex]f(v_2)[/tex].

Oh yeah, I got the point.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Can the number of edges determine isomorphism in graphs?

What is isomorphism in graphs?

Isomorphism in graphs is a concept in mathematics and computer science that refers to two graphs having the same structure or pattern of connections between their vertices. This means that the two graphs can be rearranged or relabeled to look exactly the same.

How is isomorphism different from graph similarity?

Isomorphism and graph similarity are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Isomorphism refers to the structural equivalence between two graphs, while graph similarity takes into account other factors such as edge weights and node properties.

What is the importance of isomorphism in graph theory?

Isomorphism is important in graph theory because it allows us to compare and analyze different graphs that have the same underlying structure. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between graphs, and in solving graph optimization problems.

How do you determine if two graphs are isomorphic?

There are several methods for determining if two graphs are isomorphic. One approach is to use the visual inspection method, where you try to rearrange or relabel the vertices of one graph to match the other. Another method is to use graph invariants, such as degree sequence or eigenvalues, to check for structural equivalence.

Can directed and undirected graphs be isomorphic?

No, directed and undirected graphs cannot be isomorphic because they have different structural properties. In an undirected graph, edges have no direction, while in a directed graph, edges have a specific direction. This difference in structure means that these two types of graphs cannot be rearranged or relabeled to look the same.