Can the intersection over a finite set be written as a sum?

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the intersection of any number of open sets in a finite topological space is also an open set, using mathematical induction. The base case is shown by proving that the intersection of two sets in T (the open sets) is also in T. The definition of sets in T is mentioned as a possible starting point for the proof.
Raziel2701
I know the union can be, but how about the intersection? I am trying to prove that:

Suppose (X,T) is a finite topological space, n is a positive integer and [tex]U_i\in T[/tex] for 1<= i <= n. Use mathematical induction to prove [tex]\bigcap U_i \in T[/tex], where the intersection goes from i=1 to n.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show the intersection of 2 open sets is open?

I don't see that open or closed enters into this problem, unless I'm missing something. For the base case, show that if two sets U1 and U2 are in T, then their intersection is also in T.

fair point, depending where you start from you can do it stright from the defintion of the sets in T, but those sets are the open sets

Related to Can the intersection over a finite set be written as a sum?

1. Can the intersection over a finite set be written as a sum?

Yes, the intersection over a finite set can be written as a sum. This is because the intersection of two sets A and B is defined as the set of all elements that are in both A and B. This can be represented as the sum of the number of elements in A and the number of elements in B minus the number of elements in their intersection.

2. What is the mathematical notation for the intersection of two sets?

The mathematical notation for the intersection of two sets A and B is A ∩ B. This is read as "A intersect B" and represents the set of all elements that are common to both A and B.

3. Can the intersection of more than two sets be written as a sum?

Yes, the intersection of more than two sets can also be written as a sum. The formula for the intersection of three sets A, B, and C is A ∩ B ∩ C. This can be expanded to include more sets by adding more ∩ symbols and their corresponding sets.

4. Are there any limitations to writing the intersection over a finite set as a sum?

Yes, there are limitations to writing the intersection over a finite set as a sum. This method is only applicable to finite sets, meaning sets with a limited or countable number of elements. It is not possible to represent the intersection of infinite sets as a sum.

5. How is the intersection over a finite set useful in mathematical and scientific applications?

The intersection over a finite set is useful in mathematical and scientific applications as it allows for the identification of common elements between different sets. This is particularly important in data analysis, where the intersection of sets can help identify patterns and relationships between different data sets. It is also used in set theory, probability, and statistics to solve various problems and equations.