Can symmetry help me solve this circuit? Circuit diagram question

In summary, the conversation is about finding the current across Rg in a circuit. The person asking the question is unsure about how to approach it and suggests adding voltage sources, while the other person suggests writing loop equations. It is then revealed that the circuit is symmetrical, which allows for simplification by connecting nodes with the same voltage. The final conclusion is that loop equations are not necessary and the given answer is correct.
princejan7

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the current across Rg. I do not understand the answer provided

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to add the two voltage sources and then continue?

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't simply add them at this point. You'll need to write loop equations.

I can't read the writing on the circuit but it might be symmetrical left to right. If it is that may simplify things.

CWatters said:
I can't read the writing on the circuit but it might be symmetrical left to right. If it is that may simplify things.

yes it is symmetric

In that case you can simplify the circuit. Remember that nodes that are the same voltage can be connected together with a wire without affecting it in any way. Try that. Meanwhile I'll check the given answer is correct.

I agree with the given answer.

No need to write loop equations to get that answer.

If you get stuck let us know but see the hint in the previous post.

CWatters said:
I agree with the given answer.

No need to write loop equations to get that answer.

If you get stuck let us know but see the hint in the previous post.

I'm a little stuck in trying to simplify the circuit using the hint. I'm not sure set of nodes to connect

The left and right hand branches are the same and connect to the same points on the centre branch. Here is a quick sketch with the left hand branch moved over to the right hand side. Electrically the circuit is identical to the original.

Can you see (using symmetry) which points are at the same voltage?

IMG.jpg

Related to Can symmetry help me solve this circuit? Circuit diagram question

1. What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a graphical representation of an electrical circuit, showing the connections between different components and how the circuit functions.

2. How do you read a circuit diagram?

To read a circuit diagram, you start from the power source and follow the lines representing wires and connections to different components, like resistors, capacitors, and transistors. The symbols used in the diagram represent the components and their functions.

3. Why are circuit diagrams important?

Circuit diagrams are important because they provide a visual representation of an electrical circuit, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot. They also help in designing and building circuits, as well as for documentation and communication purposes.

4. What are the common symbols used in circuit diagrams?

Some common symbols used in circuit diagrams include the battery, resistor, capacitor, transistor, diode, switch, and ground. These symbols represent the different components and their functions in a circuit.

5. Can I make my own circuit diagram?

Yes, you can make your own circuit diagram using a software program or by hand. It is important to use standard symbols and follow a clear and organized layout to ensure the accuracy and readability of the diagram.