Can sulphuric acid corrode steel and granite?

• Thread starter Mackay1011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Corrosion
In summary, the length of time it takes for sulphuric acid to corrode through a 1.5" sheet of reinforced steel depends on various factors such as concentration of the acid, treatment of the area, and exposure to air. It could take anywhere from a few days to a few hours. Pouring acid on the same spot multiple times may speed up the corrosion process. Granite, on the other hand, is not easily corroded by sulphuric acid and would require a reductive acid such as HCl. The strength of steel also varies depending on the type, with some types being much harder than granite.
Mackay1011
HI, if I put some sulphuric acid on a 1.5" sheet of reinforced steel how long would it take until I could just poke the corroded area and it would go through? Also if I had a 4" sheet of granit and poured it on that would it corrode? And how long would it take?

Pretty random question I know but I am curious, ty :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well that greatly depends on what kind of steel it is.
I am from europe so i don`t know much about astm norms for alloys, if by reinforced steel you mean steel for reinforment rods which i usually are pretty much unalloyed in austria it still depends on many parameters.
Concentration of the acid, how the area was treated before pouring it on it, is the acid protected from air, do you pour acid periodicly and so on...

if you just poured acid on it once and then put it in a dry room it will most likely never happen that you can just poke throught it.
Given the right circumstances it can be accomplished within a few days or mabye even hours...
If you are trying to break out of the prision i would recommend to use chili sauce... they onced showed how to do it on mythbusters^^ quite a nice trick

Well I aint in prison for a start lol I am just curious when I see things on T.V I like to find out if it would really work. Well the sulphuric acid would be 100% pure, the acid is kept in a glass bottle and would it work if I poured it on the same place a few times? When I say poke through it I mean with abit of force. And what about the granit? I would say granit is a hell of a lot harder then steel but with persistent use of the acid would that also corrode a hole?

Guess you don`t work much with steel since you said that granite is harder but that's not too bad.
Like in an other thread said there are thousands of different typ of steel and well most of them are a lot harder then granit.
First of all the processes differ quite much.
Granite would just become disolved in the acid while the steel will begin to corrode.
I am not too much into concrete and stone but i am quite positive that granite will be pretty unimpressed by H2SO4 since its an oxidation acid. You would have to use a reductive acid like HCl.

I'm shocked that granite would just dissolve when mixed with sulphuric acid I thought it would just make it weak so if you dropped it from 50ft it would smash. So what types of steel are the strongest? I am not talking like 2ft block of steel just a 1.5" sheet. Which types of steel would it have trouble corroding?

Related to Can sulphuric acid corrode steel and granite?

1. What causes corrosion of rock/steel/iron?

Corrosion is the result of a chemical reaction between a metal and its environment, usually oxygen and water. This reaction causes the metal to deteriorate and weaken over time.

2. How does corrosion affect the strength of rock/steel/iron?

Corrosion can significantly weaken the strength of rock, steel, and iron structures. As the metal corrodes, it loses its structural integrity and can eventually lead to failure or collapse.

3. Can corrosion be prevented?

While it is impossible to completely prevent corrosion, it can be slowed down or controlled through various methods such as protective coatings, cathodic protection, and proper maintenance and monitoring.

4. What are the common signs of corrosion in rock/steel/iron?

Some common signs of corrosion include discoloration, flaking or peeling of paint, rust formation, and visible cracks or weakening of the structure.

5. How can corrosion be detected and monitored?

Corrosion can be detected through various techniques such as visual inspections, ultrasonic testing, and corrosion mapping. Regular monitoring is essential to identify potential areas of concern and take necessary actions to prevent further corrosion.