Can Stereographic Projection from Unit Sphere to Plane be Proven as Injective?

The function is structured in such a way that the z value is excluded from the numerator, making it impossible for the function to produce the same output for different points on the sphere. This can be proven by showing that the given conditions only hold true for the same point on the sphere. In summary, the conversation discusses a failed attempt at proving the injectivity of a map from the unit sphere to R^2. The function is structured in a way that the z value is excluded from the numerator, making it impossible for the function to produce the same output for different points on the sphere. The speaker is seeking clarification on what this means for points on a circle.
T-O7
So I'm trying to prove that the map
[tex]f(x,y,z) = \frac{(x,y)}{1-z}[/tex]
from the unit sphere S^2 to R^2 is injective by the usual means:
[tex]f(x_1,y_1,z_1)=f(x_2,y_2,z_2) \Rightarrow (x_1,y_1,z_1)=(x_2,y_2,z_2)[/tex]
But i can't seem to show it... :frown:
I end up with the result that
[tex]\frac{x_1}{x_2}=\frac{y_1}{y_2},\frac{x_1}{x_2}=\frac{1-z_1}{1-z_2}[/tex],

but I'm uncertain as to what this means for points on a circle...help please?
(i have actually already found the inverse map, but i just found it a little frustrating that i couldn't prove injectiveness just straightforwardly like this..)

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't tried it, but since the domain of the function consists of points on the unit sphere, there is a restriction imposed on x,y and z, they cannot have any old values.

Stereographic projection is a geometric technique used to map points on a sphere to points on a plane. In this case, the unit sphere S^2 is being mapped to the plane R^2 using the function f(x,y,z) = \frac{(x,y)}{1-z}. The goal is to prove that this mapping is injective, meaning that each point on the sphere is uniquely mapped to a point on the plane.

To prove injectivity, the usual method is to assume that two points on the sphere, (x_1,y_1,z_1) and (x_2,y_2,z_2), are mapped to the same point on the plane, f(x_1,y_1,z_1)=f(x_2,y_2,z_2). This would mean that the two points have the same coordinates, (x_1,y_1) = (x_2,y_2), and also that the ratio of their z-coordinates is equal, \frac{1-z_1}{1-z_2} = 1. However, as you have found, this does not necessarily mean that the two points are the same, since there are multiple points on the sphere that can have the same projection onto the plane.

In order to show that the mapping is injective, you need to consider the entire mapping function, not just the coordinates. One way to do this is to find the inverse mapping, which you have already done. This means that for each point on the plane, there is a unique point on the sphere that is mapped to it, and vice versa. This shows that the mapping is one-to-one and therefore injective.

It is important to note that the mapping from the sphere to the plane is not an isomorphism, meaning that the two structures are not exactly the same. This is why the usual method of proving injectivity does not work in this case.

In conclusion, while it may be frustrating that the usual method of proving injectivity does not work for stereographic projection, it is important to understand the underlying principles and consider the entire mapping function in order to prove injectivity.

Related to Can Stereographic Projection from Unit Sphere to Plane be Proven as Injective?

1. What is stereographic projection?

Stereographic projection is a method of representing a three-dimensional object or space onto a two-dimensional surface. It is commonly used in cartography and astronomy to create maps and star charts.

2. How does stereographic projection work?

In stereographic projection, a point on the surface of the object or space is projected onto a plane tangent to the object or space at a specific point. This creates a distortion of the object's size and shape, but preserves the relative distances and angles between points.

3. What is the purpose of stereographic projection?

The purpose of stereographic projection is to create a visual representation of a three-dimensional object or space in a two-dimensional format. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of complex objects or spaces.

4. What are the limitations of stereographic projection?

One of the limitations of stereographic projection is that it cannot accurately represent objects or spaces with extreme curvature or topological features. It also introduces distortions in size and shape, making it less useful for precise measurements.

5. How is stereographic projection used in different fields?

Stereographic projection is commonly used in geology, crystallography, and structural engineering to understand the orientation and relationships between different geological features or crystal structures. It is also used in navigation, astronomy, and cartography to create maps and charts for navigation and visualization purposes.