Can Static Electricity Voltages Reach 20 Million Volts?

• Thread starter rohitsatralkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Static
In summary, rubbing a finger on a nonconducting material can generate up to 20,000 volts of static electricity, but the reason we do not get electrocuted is due to the low current. However, there are safety measures that should be taken to prevent any potential hazards. Additionally, static electricity voltages can go much higher than 20 Kvolts, with Van de Graaff generators being able to produce up to 20 million volts. More information on this topic can be found by searching for "static discharge".
rohitsatralkar
i heard that when we rub a finger on a nonconducting material 20000v gets generated,we don't get electrocuted because of low current.is that true?...really 20k?..
i got a earful when i touched a smd ic from my professor,thats why i had this doubt...so any help please??

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a little more complicated than that. You can build up a static charge on your body equal to thousands of volts depending on the conditions you're in. See the following PDF for some basic ESD safety. I found this online by searching for "static discharge", so there is a wealth of info out there if you want to look it up.

http://www.minicircuits.com/app/AN40-005.pdf

Static electricity voltages can go much higher than 20 Kvolts. Van de Graaff generators can go as high as 20 MV (20 million volts) and produce artificial 'lightning' bolts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_de_Graaff_generator

Related to Can Static Electricity Voltages Reach 20 Million Volts?

1. Can static really go up to 20k?

Yes, it is possible for static to go up to 20k. Static electricity is a build-up of electric charge on the surface of an object. The amount of static charge that an object can hold depends on various factors such as the material, humidity, and temperature.

2. Is 20k considered a high amount of static?

It depends on the context. 20k (20,000 volts) is considered a high amount of static charge for everyday objects. However, in certain industries such as electronics, much higher levels of static charge (up to 30,000 volts) are required for certain processes.

3. Can static electricity of 20k harm humans?

Yes, static electricity of 20k can harm humans. It can cause discomfort, pain, and even burns if the charge is strong enough. However, the severity of the harm depends on various factors such as the duration of exposure and the individual's sensitivity to electricity.

4. What are some common sources of static electricity that can reach 20k?

Common sources of static electricity that can reach 20k include friction, contact with insulating materials, and electrical discharges from lightning or power lines. Synthetic fabrics, carpets, and dry air can also contribute to the build-up of static charge.

5. How can we prevent static electricity from reaching 20k?

To prevent static electricity from reaching 20k, we can take measures such as grounding objects or using anti-static materials. We can also increase humidity in the environment, avoid wearing synthetic fabrics, and use grounding straps when working with sensitive electronic equipment.