Can spacetime be created ? if yes how if not why ?

• Thread starter tell_me_why
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary: As far as I know, the answers are there.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime and its creation. The discussion touches upon the idea that spacetime is not physical but rather a geometry, and that it exists virtually as gravity depends on the warping of spacetime. The conversation also brings up the question of whether spacetime existed before the big bang and the current cosmological models and theories surrounding this concept. There is also a mention of how mass curves spacetime and the proposed theory of general relativity by Einstein. Lastly, the conversation poses questions about the creation and destruction of spacetime and the relationship between time and the curvature of spacetime. The speaker suggests referring to the given links for more detailed answers to these
tell_me_why
Can spacetime be created ? if yes how if not why ?

I understand that spacetime is not physical and more of geometry.
Still bec it exist virtualy ,as gravity depends on warping of spacetime.
So can we ever create this spacetime , does it existing before big bang ??

Physics news on Phys.org

In the current cosmological models, the cosmological constant is small enough that a singularity occurs at the big bang. This singularity represents a point where general relativity breaks down and loses self-consistency. Therefore we don't have any theory that allows us to say whether there was time before the big bang.

If the universe is spatially closed, then its spatial volume is finite and increasing over time.

If the universe is spatially open, then its spatial volume is infinite, so we can't really say whether the total volume increases over time. For a discussion of whether space should then be considered as expanding, see section 7.2.3 of http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch07/ch07.html#Section7.2 , or, for more detail, http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.1081v2 and http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.0380v1 .

Last edited by a moderator:

Newton said that two masses attact each other but no one know why and how..
decades after A. Einstien said masses curve spacetime and puposed theory of GR.
though his theory seems to be correct at the moment but again no one knows

1) why mass curve spacetime ?
2) can spacetime be created or destroyed ?
3) how time is created in spacetime and why it changes dependiing on curvature of spacetime ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

tell_me_why said:
1) why mass curve spacetime ?
3) how time is created in spacetime and why it changes dependiing on curvature of spacetime ?

1) This question has the tone of philosophy, not science. You can keep asking "why?" forever, and science will not be able to provide an infinite string of answers. We've got to start somewhere.

2) This question, to me, is about as meaningful as asking "Can a cartesian coordinate system be created or destroyed?" or "Can the number two be created or destroyed?"

3) This one confuses me. Time is changed by the curvature of spacetime precisely because spacetime is just that: space AND time. So when spacetime curves, space and time both warp.

tell_me_why said:

Have you looked at the three links I gave?

Related to Can spacetime be created ? if yes how if not why ?

1. Can spacetime be created?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity, spacetime can be created through the process of cosmic inflation. This is a period of rapid expansion in the early universe that is thought to have occurred within the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang.

2. How can spacetime be created?

Spacetime can be created through the process of cosmic inflation, which is driven by a hypothetical field called the inflaton. This field causes a rapid expansion of the universe, stretching spacetime itself.

3. Is there evidence for the creation of spacetime?

Yes, there is strong evidence for cosmic inflation and the creation of spacetime. This includes observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, as well as the distribution of galaxies in the universe.

4. If spacetime can be created, can it also be destroyed?

According to the theory of general relativity, spacetime can be destroyed or warped through the effects of gravity. This can occur in extreme environments such as black holes, where the intense gravitational pull can cause spacetime to collapse.

5. Why can't spacetime be created or destroyed?

While spacetime can be created and destroyed through the effects of gravity, the overall fabric of spacetime itself is thought to be constant. This means that while it can be warped or distorted, it cannot be completely destroyed or created out of nothing.