Can someone tell me what the HD+ ion is?

• Thread starter AxiomOfChoice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, the HD+ ion is a positively charged ion consisting of a hydrogen atom bonded to a deuterium atom. It is formed when a hydrogen atom loses its electron and becomes positively charged. This ion is commonly found in high-energy environments such as stars and nuclear reactions. It also plays a crucial role in the chemistry of interstellar space and has been detected in the atmospheres of gas giants like Jupiter. Its unique properties make it a subject of interest for scientific research and potential applications in various fields.
AxiomOfChoice
I know [itex]H_2^+[/itex] is a bound state of an electron and two protons, but what's [itex]\text{HD}^+[/itex]? Is the D just a stand-in for an arbitrary nucleus that may, or may not, be a proton?

I found the following website with information about this cation that leads me to believe that the "D" is not just a stand-in, since [itex]\text{HD}^+[/itex] seems to have a well defined molecular weight: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C12181167&Units=SI&Mask=1000#Diatomic

Chemistry news on Phys.org
D stands for deuterium (hydrogen isotope).

Nice; thanks. So [itex]\text{HD}^+[/itex] consists of a bound state of a proton, a deuteron (one proton, one neutron), and an electron?

Yes. It is just like H2+ - ionized hydrogen molecule - just with one hydrogen replaced by deuterium.

Related to Can someone tell me what the HD+ ion is?

1. What is the HD+ ion?

The HD+ ion, also known as the dihydrogen cation, is a positively charged molecule made up of two hydrogen atoms bonded together.

2. How is the HD+ ion formed?

The HD+ ion is formed when a hydrogen atom loses its electron, leaving behind a positively charged proton. This proton then bonds with another hydrogen atom to form the HD+ ion.

3. What are the properties of the HD+ ion?

The HD+ ion is highly reactive and unstable due to its positive charge. It is also extremely small and can easily combine with other molecules to form new compounds.

4. What are the uses of the HD+ ion?

The HD+ ion has various uses in chemistry and physics research, such as studying chemical bonding and understanding the behavior of ions in different environments. It also plays a role in the formation of stars and interstellar chemistry.

5. Is the HD+ ion found naturally on Earth?

No, the HD+ ion is not found naturally on Earth. It can only exist in highly specialized laboratory conditions or in outer space. However, it is thought to play a role in the early stages of the universe's formation.