Can someone tell me how many forces of friction are in here?

In summary: If T2 is just acting on the rope, then what is the tension in the rope?The tension in the rope is T2*r.
Blockade
Ch085.gif

Let's assume that the force of friction is only present between the two blocks and that the pulley is massless. On top of that, force F pulling the two blocks at a constant velocity; as a result, the acceleration = 0m/s2.
May someone tell me how many forces of friction are going on between the "2kg" and "7kg" blocks? I guessed two since the top block is moving left and the bottom box is moving right. Am I right?

And is it true that the force of gravity that applies on the "7kg" block is actually (2kg+7kg)*g = 9kg*g?

Also may you please check if my sum of all forces are corrrect?:
ΣFtop blockx: -T1 + μ*2kg*g = [2kg*0] -> T1 = μ*2kg*g
ΣFtop blocky: Ntop = 2kg*g

ΣFbottom blockx: T2 - μ*9kg*g - T1 + F = [9kg*0] -> T2 = μ*9kg*g + 1 - F
ΣFbottom blocky: Ntop = 9kg*g

note: sorry but I don't know if I should still multiply kg * gravity or just leave it as kg.

Physics news on Phys.org
Action and reaction are equal and opposite. If the normal force experienced by the 2kg block from the 7kg block is 2kg * g then what is the normal force the 7kg block experiences from the 2kg block?

haruspex said:
Action and reaction are equal and opposite. If the normal force experienced by the 2kg block from the 7kg block is 2kg * g then what is the normal force the 7kg block experiences from the 2kg block?

Hello again :). The normal force the 7kg block experiences from the 2kg block is 2kg * g because of Newton's 3rd law as you mentioned above.

Blockade said:
Hello again :). The normal force the 7kg block experiences from the 2kg block is 2kg * g because of Newton's 3rd law as you mentioned above.
Right, so what is the frictional force on the 7kg block?

So... therefore, "ΣFbottom block y" Nbot should be subtracted to Ntop as it is below where Nbot = 2kg*g ?
ΣFtop blockx: -T1 + μ*2kg*g = [2kg*0] -> T1 = μ*2kg*g
ΣFtop blocky: Ntop = 2kg*g

ΣFbottom blockx: T2 - μ*9kg*g - T1 + F = [9kg*0] -> T2 = μ*9kg*g + 1 - F
ΣFbottom blocky: Ntop - Nbot = 9kg*g

Blockade said:
ΣFbottom blockx: T2 - μ*9kg*g ...
Where does that μ*9kg*g term come from?

haruspex said:
Right, so what is the frictional force on the 7kg block?

The force of friction on the 7kg block should feel μ*2kg*g.

haruspex said:
Where does that μ*9kg*g term come from?

Well I thought that since the 2kg block is on top of the 7kg block, then the force of gravity for the 7kg block would be (2kg+7kg)*g "the sum of both masses times gravity".

Blockade said:
Well I thought that since the 2kg block is on top of the 7kg block, then the force of gravity for the 7kg block would be (2kg+7kg)*g "the sum of both masses times gravity".
Sure, but where will that total weight be felt? You already accepted in post #3 that the normal force at the boundary between the blocks is only 2kg * g.

haruspex said:
Sure, but where will that total weight be felt? You already accepted in post #3 that the normal force at the boundary between the blocks is only 2kg * g.

I figured the "9kg * g" force would be felt from block 7kg to the ground and back to up at it again through the Nbot force.

Blockade said:
I figured the "9kg * g" force would be felt from block 7kg to the ground and back to up at it again through the Nbot force.
Sure, but there's no friction there.

haruspex said:
Sure, but there's no friction there.

Hang on let me double check.

ΣFbottom blockx: T2 - μ*2kg*g - T1 + F = [2kg*0] -> T2 = μ*2kg*g + 1 - F
ΣFbottom blocky: Ntop - Nbot = 7kg*g

I think I've fixed it.

Blockade said:
ΣFbottom blockx: T2 - μ*2kg*g - T1 + F = [2kg*0] -> T2 = μ*2kg*g + 1 - F

I think I've fixed it.
You have T1 and T2. There's only one tension acting on the bottom block (other than F).

haruspex said:
You have T1 and T2. There's only one tension acting on the bottom block (other than F).

So I don't need T2 since there's already a force F pulling on it?

since T2 = F it will just cancel out?

Blockade said:
So I don't need T2 since there's already a force F pulling on it?

since T2 = F it will just cancel out?
It can't cancel. Either take F as acting directly on the block, or take T2 as acting on the block and set T2=F. It comes to the same thing.

haruspex said:
It can't cancel. Either take F as acting directly on the block, or take T2 as acting on the block and set T2=F. It comes to the same thing.

Alright. I just thought that force F was acting on the rope since it's pulling it but thank you, if the bottom equation looks correct. You've been a great help.ΣFbottom blockx: μ*2kg*g - T1 + F = [2kg*0] -> F = μ*2kg*g + 1 + T1

Blockade said:
Alright. I just thought that force F was acting on the rope since it's pulling it but thank you, if the bottom equation looks correct. You've been a great help.ΣFbottom blockx: μ*2kg*g - T1 + F = [2kg*0] -> F = μ*2kg*g + 1 + T1
Yes, that's right.
If you want to think of F as a force someone is applying to a rope, the tension in the rope is F. The block feels the tension F, but it knows nothing about the person pulling on the other end. When constructing the FBD for a body, it's important to think in terms of the forces that act directly on the body, and not get mixed up with more distant origins of the forces.

Related to Can someone tell me how many forces of friction are in here?

1. What are forces of friction?

Forces of friction are the forces that resist the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. This resistance is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces, which creates a force that opposes the movement of the object.

2. How do forces of friction affect motion?

Forces of friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object, depending on the direction of the force. If the force of friction is in the opposite direction of the object's motion, it will slow down or stop the object. If the force of friction is in the same direction as the object's motion, it can increase the object's speed.

3. How are forces of friction measured?

Forces of friction are measured in Newtons (N) using a device called a dynamometer. This tool measures the amount of force required to move an object across a surface, taking into account both static friction (when the object is not moving) and kinetic friction (when the object is in motion).

4. What factors affect the strength of forces of friction?

The strength of forces of friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the force applied to the object. Rougher surfaces will generally have a stronger force of friction, while smoother surfaces will have a weaker force of friction. Heavier objects will also have a stronger force of friction than lighter objects. Additionally, the force of friction will increase with the amount of force applied to the object.

5. How many forces of friction are there in a given situation?

In any given situation, there can be multiple forces of friction acting on an object. The exact number of forces will depend on the specific conditions of the situation, such as the number of surfaces in contact, the type of surfaces, and the direction and magnitude of the forces. It is important to consider all of these factors when determining the number of forces of friction in a given situation.