Can someone please explain this?

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation is about writing a sestina for English class and the confusion surrounding a spiral image found on Wikipedia. The speaker was unsure of the meaning and structure of the poem but it was explained that it follows a specific pattern when read clockwise. The conversation ends with the speaker understanding the concept and thanking the other person for their help.
ƒ(x)
So, I have to write a sestina for english class. While searching wikipedia, i came across this image
600px-Sestina_system.svg.png

I suspect this has something to do with being tired, but what does the spiral mean? I'm with it as far as the first transition (going clockwise). The sixth line does indeed become the first. But, after that it becomes the 2nd, not the 5th...

Am I missing something obvious?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it like a traveling salesman thing or something?

Where did you find it?

Oh it's poetry... that explains the total lack of logic to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the spiral clockwise. Follow roman numeral for each set of 6 numbers (read each column). So the first set (I) is just {123456}. The second set (II) is {615243}; that comes from following the spiral clockwise. The first knot is at I-6, then I-1, then I-5, and so on.
For the third set (III) you do the same thing but read number from column II.

Alright, thanks.

Related to Can someone please explain this?

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of an experiment is to test a hypothesis or answer a specific research question. It involves collecting and analyzing data to draw conclusions about a particular phenomenon or concept.

2. How does the experiment work?

The experiment typically involves manipulating one or more variables and observing the effects on the outcome or dependent variable. This helps to determine the cause-and-effect relationship between the variables.

3. What are the key components of the experiment?

The key components of an experiment include the independent and dependent variables, control group, experimental group, and the methods used to measure and analyze the data.

4. How do you ensure the validity and reliability of the results?

Validity refers to the accuracy of the measurement and whether it is actually measuring what it claims to measure. Reliability refers to the consistency and reproducibility of the results. To ensure validity and reliability, scientists use standardized procedures, control groups, and statistical analysis of the data.

5. What are the potential limitations of the experiment?

Some potential limitations of an experiment include sample size, bias, and external factors that may affect the results. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and address these limitations in their research to accurately interpret the findings.