Can someone help me understand the trinomial expansion?

• Thread starter rock.freak667
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the formula for finding the coefficient of a specific term in a trinomial expansion is to use the multinomial coefficients and find the combinations of i,j,k that satisfy the exponent of the desired term. Then, the coefficient is the sum of all these multinomial coefficients.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper
Well according to what I've read

[tex](a+b+c)^n=\sum_{i,j,k} \left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
i,j,k
\end{array}
\right)a^i b^j c^k[/tex]

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
n\\
i,j,k
\end{array}
\right)
=\frac{n!}{i!j!k!}[/tex]

I understand the last equation but how would I find the values for i,j and k?

for example if I have [itex](1+x+x^2)^8[/itex] how would I find the coefficient of x^3 without expanding the entire thing out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This:

[tex]\sum_{i,j,k}[/tex]

means to sum over all (i,j,k) from 0 to n such that i+j+k = n.

In other words, find (i,j,k) such that (1^i)*(x^j)*(x^2)^k = x^3 and i+j+k = 8. Then just evaluate that particular multinomial coefficient.

so from:(1^i)*(x^j)*(x^2)^k = x^3
j+2k=3 and i+j+k=8...but since I don't have a 3rd equation how would i find those specific values for i,j and k ?

There are two distinct possibilities. You will have to find both trinomial coefficients and add them together.

Hint: You know j and k are integers between 0 and 8. Just try stuff.

Well the only way j+2k=3 would be if j=1,k=1 and so i=6?

then the coefficient of x^3 would be 56?

Remember that j and/or k can also be zero, so there is one additional possibility.

You're very close, though. :)

Well after picking k=0 I got the coefficient to now be 112 and i think that is all i can guess j and k to be.

With a= 1, b= x, [itex]c= x^2[/itex], [itex]a^ib^jc^k[/itex] is equal to [itex]1^ix^j(x^2)^k= x^{j+2k}= x^8[/itex] so j+ 2k= 8 as said before. If k= 0, j= 8. If k= 1, j= 6. If k= 2, j= 4. If k= 3, j= 2. If k= 4, j= 0. The condition that i+ j+ k= 8 gives i= 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively.

Therefore, the coefficient of [itex]x^8[/itex] is the sum of
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}8 \\ 0, 8, 0\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}8 \\ 1, 6, 1\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}8 \\ 2, 4, 2\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}8 \\ 3, 2, 3\end{pmatrix}+ \begin{pmatrix}8 \\ 4, 0, 4\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Related to Can someone help me understand the trinomial expansion?

1. What is the trinomial expansion?

The trinomial expansion is a mathematical process that allows us to expand a trinomial expression (an expression with three terms) into a series of terms. It follows the same principles as the binomial expansion, but with an additional term.

2. Why do we need to understand the trinomial expansion?

The trinomial expansion is a fundamental concept in algebra and has many applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve problems involving trinomials.

3. How do you find the coefficients in a trinomial expansion?

The coefficients in a trinomial expansion can be found by using the binomial coefficient formula or Pascal's triangle. These methods involve using combinations and factorials to determine the numerical coefficients for each term in the expanded expression.

4. Can you give an example of a trinomial expansion?

Yes, an example of a trinomial expansion is (x + y + z)^3 = x^3 + 3x^2y + 3x^2z + 3xy^2 + 6xyz + 3xz^2 + y^3 + 3y^2z + 3yz^2 + z^3. In this example, each term is obtained by multiplying the three binomials together and using the appropriate coefficients.

5. How is the trinomial expansion related to the binomial theorem?

The trinomial expansion is a generalization of the binomial theorem, which states that (x + y)^n can be expanded into a sum of terms, where each term is of the form C(n, r)x^(n-r)y^r. The binomial theorem is a special case of the trinomial expansion when n = 2, and the third term z is omitted.