Can someone help me understand the difference between a measure, and a function which is measurable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a measure and measurability in the context of measure theory. A measure is a function that assigns a number to a subset, while a measurable function is one that meets certain criteria. The definitions of these concepts are different, but they are related in that a measurable function is measurable with respect to a given measure. The question of whether a measureable function can be used to define a measure on its domain is raised, but it is clarified that in most cases a measure already exists. The conversation also touches on the topic of measure spaces and how a constant function on a sigma algebra is not helpful in defining a measure on the sigma algebra. Finally, it is noted that not all subsets can be assigned
dumb_curiosity
This might not be the right subforum, but I was told that measure theory is very important in probability theory, so I thought maybe it belonged here.I am confused about the difference between a measure (which is a function onto [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] that satisfies the axioms listed here: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Measure_(Measure_Theory) ) and measurability (which is a criteria that a function onto [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] can meet. These criteria are listed here: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Measurable_Function ). I'm assuming these things are related, but the definitions seems so different so I don't really understand the relation between them. For example, if a function f is sigma measurable, is there automatically some "measure function" we can derive from it? Or similarly, is a measure always sigma measurable?Also - I was curious, is there a difference between being "sigma measurable" and just "measurable?" The things I was reading seemed to use the terms interchangeably, so I just wasn't certain. Sorry if these questions are kind of dumb and obvious, I am brand new to measure theory and still trying to wrap my head around these definitions

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Compare the definitions step by step and you will see that a measure and a measurable function are completely different animals. Most functions you know are measurable. Any continuous function is measurable. Measures are restricted to positive functions on sets whose values are never negative and the measure of any countable union of disjoint sets is the summation of their individual measures. On the real line, think of measures as generalizations of the summation of segment lengths on the real line, not as a function on individual real numbers. All probability functions are measures.

dumb_curiosity said:
For example, if a function f is sigma measurable, is there automatically some "measure function" we can derive from it?

When a functions is called "measureable", it is measureable with respect to some given measure. So, given a measureable function, you already have a measure. You don't need to derive one.

Or similarly, is a measure always sigma measurable?

If we are talking about measureable functions defined on the real numbers. A measure is not a measure.able function. Each element of the domain of a measureable function is a real number. Each element of the domain of a measure is a set.

Stephen Tashi said:
When a functions is called "measureable", it is measureable with respect to some given measure. So, given a measureable function, you already have a measure. You don't need to derive one.

I think this is where I'm confused. Based on this definition: https://proofwiki.org/wiki/Definition:Measurable_Function it looks like a function is "sigma measurable" based on some sigma, where a sigma is a sigma-algebra on a set. Where does the measure come into play? I didn't get the impression that there was always a measure defined when you have a sigma-algebra.

dumb_curiosity said:
Where does the measure come into play? I didn't get the impression that there was always a measure defined when you have a sigma-algebra.
I don't know if existence of a measure is guaranteed. The important property of a measurable function is that , given any measure on the sigma algebra, you can define Lebesgue integrals of that function using that measure.

dumb_curiosity said:
I didn't get the impression that there was always a measure defined when you have a sigma-algebra.

You are correct.

I'm was thinking of the definition of a "measure space". Your link refers to a "measureable space". The Wolfram site's defiinition of measureable function mentions a specific measure. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/MeasurableFunction.html so it goes beyond the Wikipedia's definition based on a "measureable space". If we use the Wikipedia's definition then I think you have asked a very good question - namely can a measureable function on a "measureable space" be used to define a measure on that space. (It should be clear that the measureable function itself is not a measure since its domain is the universal set X of the measure space, not the sets in the sigma algebra of subsets of X.)

Stephen Tashi said:
You are correct.
It should be clear that the measureable function itself is not a measure since its domain is the universal set X of the measure space, not the sets in the sigma algebra of subsets of X.
Right. And a constant function on a sigma algebra would be measurable. So I don't see how it could help in any way to define a measure on its domain.

Do you mean a constant function on each element of the sigma algebra or function that is constant on each element of the universal set X?

[itex] \{ \emptyset, X\} [/itex] is sigma algebra and we can define the measure [itex] \mu [/itex] by [itex] \mu( \emptyset) = 0,\mu(X) = 1 [/itex].

Likes FactChecker
Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean a constant function on each element of the sigma algebra or function that is constant on each element of the universal set X?
Oh. Right. I mean a function constant on each element of the universal set X. Because it says nothing, it is no help in constructing a measure on the sigma algebra.
Thanks for the correction.

In the most general sense. given two spaces (X,A_X) and (Y, A_Y) , where A_X, A_Y are sigma-algebras of sets , a function f: X-->Y is measurable if the inverse image of any element of A_Y is in A_X . In the case of the Lebesgue measure on the Real line, this reduces to : the inverse image of an open set is (Lebesgue) measurable, so that, as someone pointed out, continuous functions are measurable , since open sets are Lebesgue measurable.

A measure is a function that assigns a number --the measure -- to a subset ; an extension to general subsets of the Euclidean idea of length, volume. Still, there are results that not all subsets can be assigned a measure.

Regarding the existence of a measure on a sigma algebra, one case that covers a lot of ground is the case where the sigma-algebra contains an atom, A. Consider the function M(s) on the sigma-algebra defined by M(s) = 1 if A [itex]\in[/itex] s and =0 otherwise. It is a probability measure on the sigma-algebra.

Related to Can someone help me understand the difference between a measure, and a function which is measurable?

1. What is the definition of a measure?

A measure is a mathematical concept used to assign a numerical value to a set or collection of objects. It is a function that maps elements of a set to non-negative real numbers, representing the size, length, or volume of the set.

2. What is the definition of a measurable function?

A measurable function is a function that takes values in a measurable space and outputs measurable sets. It is a function that preserves the structure of a measurable space, meaning that the pre-image of a measurable set is also measurable.

3. What is the difference between a measure and a measurable function?

The main difference is that a measure is a mathematical concept used to assign numerical values to sets, while a measurable function is a function that operates on measurable sets. A measure does not have to be a function, but a measurable function must be a function.

4. How are measures and measurable functions used in mathematics?

Measures and measurable functions are used in a variety of mathematical fields, including probability, analysis, and topology. They are important tools for understanding the properties of sets and functions, and are often used in the development of rigorous mathematical proofs.

5. Can you provide an example of a measure and a measurable function?

An example of a measure is the Lebesgue measure, which assigns a numerical value to subsets of real numbers. An example of a measurable function is the indicator function, which takes the value 1 for elements in a set and 0 for elements outside the set. Both of these concepts are used in measure theory to study the properties of sets and functions.