Can someone help me to identify the formula on the attached image?

In summary, the conversation discusses a MATLAB assignment and the difficulties the speaker is having with the theory portion. The tutor provided an equation, which the speaker is unsure of its exact name. The equation is explained to be the heat equation and when multiplied by alpha, it gives the standard form. The speaker is confused about why alpha is divided by 1 in the second equation. The tutor clarifies that the two equations are equivalent. The conversation ends with a reminder to post similar problems in the appropriate homework sections.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
2D diffusion equation model using the Explicit Finite Difference Method
Relevant Equations
Lapace Equation, 2D Diffusion Equation
I have to do a MATLAB assignment but when it comes to the report (the theory) I am having quite a lot of problems. My tutor used this formula that I am going to attach:
139785274_10221322680269558_4797605297380943788_n.jpg

However, I don't know if that equation is the Laplace equation, the 2D Heat Diffusion equation, or what exactly that is as I can not find it anywhere like he wrote it on there.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the heat equation. Multiplying both sides by [itex]\alpha[/itex] gives the standard form [tex]
\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \alpha\left(\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} +
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}\right)[/tex]

pasmith said:
That's the heat equation. Multiplying both sides by [itex]\alpha[/itex] gives the standard form [tex]
\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \alpha\left(\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} +
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}\right)[/tex]
If it was only alpha in stead of 1/alpha I would understand it. Why is it 1/alpha?

t0mm02 said:
If it was only alpha in stead of 1/alpha I would understand it. Why is it 1/alpha?
What is it you don't understand? These two equations are equivalent.
$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \alpha\left(\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} +
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}\right)$$
$$\frac 1 \alpha\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} =\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2} +
\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial y^2}$$

By the way, problems involving derivatives or partial derivatives are NOT precalculus. Please post any such problems in the Calculus & Beyond homework section or in one of the Physics homework sections.

Related to Can someone help me to identify the formula on the attached image?

1. What is the purpose of identifying the formula in the attached image?

The purpose of identifying the formula in the attached image is to understand the mathematical or scientific concept being represented. This can help with problem-solving, further research, or application of the formula in real-world situations.

2. How can identifying the formula in the attached image be helpful?

Identifying the formula in the attached image can be helpful in various ways. It can provide a clear and concise representation of a complex concept, aid in solving equations or problems, and serve as a reference for future use.

3. Is it important to identify the formula in the attached image accurately?

Yes, it is important to identify the formula in the attached image accurately. A small error in identifying the formula can lead to incorrect results and hinder understanding of the concept.

4. What are some strategies for identifying the formula in the attached image?

Some strategies for identifying the formula in the attached image include looking for familiar symbols or patterns, breaking down the image into smaller parts, and researching similar formulas to compare and contrast.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with identifying the formula in the attached image?

Yes, there are various online resources and tools that can help with identifying the formula in the attached image. These include formula databases, equation solvers, and mathematical software programs.