Can someone explain this to me.

• Thread starter gvcalamike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, when you are working with the x-component in projectile motion, you use the cosine of the angle between the vectors. When you are working with the x-component in force, you use the sin of the angle between the vectors.
gvcalamike
When your dealing with the x-component in projectile motion you work with the cosine of some angle. Yet, when your working with the x-component in force you work with the sin of some angle on inclined plane. It may seem like a silly question, but it keeps confusing me on my homework problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
All that is involved is which angles are being referred to. It has nothing to do with the physics itself, only geometry.

With projectile problems, you are generally dealing with a slope that is referenced to the ground, which is horizontal.

With force problems, you are generally dealing with a force that is offset from (referenced to) a gravitational force, which is typically vertical.

Look at the right triangles in each problem and see where the right angle is located. That is what determines whether you use sine or cosine.

I never liked this convention. I always just changed my orientation to always reference all angles from the horizontal.

It may be confusing right now, but you really need to get used to handling this sort of thing. If you don't, it will keep confusing you in other topics that you haven't studied yet.

Make sure you are REALLY familiar with "sin = opposite / hypotenuse" etc, and practice identifying sin cos and tan in triangles with ANY orientation in a diagram.

When I want the cosine or the sine of some angle between vectors, but I don't want to spend time chasing down which one I need, I just ask myself, "If the angle is small, do I expect the force (or velocity, flux, torque etc.) component to be large or small?". Large [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] cosine; small [itex] \Rightarrow [/itex] sine. Hope this helps.

gvcalamike said:
When your dealing with the x-component in projectile motion you work with the cosine of some angle. Yet, when your working with the x-component in force you work with the sin of some angle on inclined plane. It may seem like a silly question, but it keeps confusing me on my homework problems.

hi gvcalamike! :smile:

it's always cos of the correct angle …

but sometimes the correct angle is 90° minus the one marked on the diagram! :biggrin:

however, personally i always use exactly the method that m.e.t.a. :smile: mentions!​

Related to Can someone explain this to me.

1. What do you mean by "explain this to me"?

"Explain this to me" is a phrase often used to ask for clarification or further understanding about a particular topic or concept. It is a request for someone to provide a detailed explanation or breakdown of a subject in a way that is easily understandable.

2. Can you give an example of when I would use "explain this to me"?

There are many situations where you might use the phrase "explain this to me." For example, if you are struggling to understand a difficult concept in a class or at work, you might ask a teacher or colleague to explain it to you in simpler terms. Additionally, if you are new to a topic or field, you may ask someone to explain the basics to you.

3. Is "explain this to me" a sign of weakness?

No, asking someone to explain something to you is not a sign of weakness. In fact, it shows that you are open to learning and seeking further understanding. It takes courage to admit that you don't know something and ask for help, and it can actually strengthen your knowledge and skills in the long run.

4. How can I effectively ask someone to explain something to me?

When asking someone to explain something to you, it is important to be specific about what you need clarification on. Be polite and respectful, and try to provide context for why you are asking for an explanation. Additionally, actively listen and ask follow-up questions to fully understand the topic.

5. Are there other ways to ask for an explanation besides "explain this to me"?

Yes, there are many ways to ask for an explanation. Some alternatives to "explain this to me" include "can you clarify this for me?", "can you break this down for me?", or "can you give me more information about this?". Choose the phrase that feels most natural and respectful to you.