Can someone explain me this problem? (Circuit analysis using superposition)

In summary, the conversation discusses the inclusion of a 7Ω resistor in step 1 of a circuit analysis exercise. It is irrelevant for the sought current as the potential difference is set by the source. In step 2, the 7Ω resistor is ignored as it is parallel with a zero resistance, and in step 3 it must be included as it is in series with a shorted voltage source. The conversation also mentions the use of current sources and their ability to have any voltage chosen around them. The speaker questions the effectiveness of using this circuit as a teaching example for circuit analysis.
Alexmanh
I do not really understand why we don't include 7Ω resistor in step 1, and I need some explanation with step 2.
upload_2017-9-6_17-4-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-6_17-2-19.png
    upload_2017-9-6_17-2-19.png
    18 KB · Views: 771
Physics news on Phys.org
In 1 it is irrelevant for the sought current (the potential difference is set by the source. In the other two it is parallel with a zero resistance (again, known potential difference - zero).

In step 1 the 7 ohm resistor does not change the effects of the 18V voltage source on the rest of the circuit so it can be ignored. The voltage is 18V regardless of the value of the (7ohm) resistor.. You are computing the effects of the 18V source by itself.
In step 2 you are shorting the 18 and 24V voltage sources and computing the effects of the current source by itself.
Step 3, same idea as step 1 except this time the 4 ohm resistor is in series with the shorted 24V source so it must be included.
Note the fact that all three sources are mutually independent.

Last edited:
This is a strange exercise! Who did it?
The voltage over the 4 ohm resistor must be 24 V.
So the the current -I2 is 24/4=6 A.
Why is that? A current source cannot have voltage, i.e it is zero.
In practical life this is not possible.
If the target is to teach circuit analysis, I don't know if it is a good idea
with such examples.

jocke said:
This is a strange exercise! Who did it?
The voltage over the 4 ohm resistor must be 24 V.
So the the current -I2 is 24/4=6 A.
Why is that? A current source cannot have voltage, i.e it is zero.
In practical life this is not possible.
If the target is to teach circuit analysis, I don't know if it is a good idea
with such examples.
A current source can have any voltage you choose around it. A current source has infinite impedance.
There is nothing "strange" about the circuit. Learn about Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits.

Related to Can someone explain me this problem? (Circuit analysis using superposition)

1. What is superposition and how does it apply to circuit analysis?

Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the total response of a linear system is equal to the sum of the responses to individual inputs. This means that the effects of each individual input can be analyzed separately and then combined to determine the overall response of the circuit.

2. How do I use superposition in circuit analysis?

To use superposition in circuit analysis, you first need to identify all the independent sources in the circuit. Then, you analyze the circuit with only one independent source at a time, while setting all other independent sources to 0 (short circuit for voltage sources and open circuit for current sources). Finally, you combine the individual responses to determine the overall response of the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition simplifies the analysis of complex circuits by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It also allows for the analysis of circuits with multiple sources, which can be difficult to solve using other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition can only be used with linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must follow Ohm's law and have a linear relationship between voltage and current. It also cannot be used with circuits containing dependent sources.

5. Can superposition be used in AC circuit analysis as well?

Yes, superposition can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the individual responses must be calculated using phasor analysis instead of the standard analysis used for DC circuits.