Can someone explain how to find stuff with 2 Voltmeters?

• Thread starter doublea500
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, The conversation is about finding the current in a 3 ohm resistor in a circuit with 2 batteries and other resistors. The conversation discusses using Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's law to create a set of equations in terms of voltage, and using substitution to solve for the current in the 3 ohm resistor. The final answer is 1.8.
doublea500
Need help finding Current on one resistor when there are 2 batteries

Homework Statement

Find Current in the 3 ohm resistor

Sorry it didnt come out right. ill explain what it is. 12V meter on the left, + on top - on bottom. then if you go counter-clockwise you will hit a 6ohm resistor, keep going and you will hit a 1 ohm resistor. on the right there's a 6v +top - bottom. in the middle between the 6ohm and 1 ohm there's a 3 ohm separating it comming out.

Imma take a picture

Homework Equations

V=IR... and others

The Attempt at a Solution

I Tried using kirchhoffs law and i kinda got lost. i was trying to do the 2 boxes seperately like 3I+6I=12V so I1=12/9 (1.3333) and 3I+1I=6V so 41=6v so I2=6/4. (1.5). i got stuck there because i didnt know what to do next

The answer for this is 1.8

can someone answer how to do this and tell me the basic rules when there are 2 voltmeters? because the 2 voltmeters really confuses me.

Attachments

• problem1.png
    problem1.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those aren't voltmeters, but rather batteries--sources of electric potential.

You need to use Kirchoff's loop and junction rules, [tex]\textstyle \sum \Delta V = 0[/tex] and [tex]\textstyle \sum i = 0[/tex] (at a junction).

You know the potentials of the batteries and the resistances of the resistors. How can you use Ohm's law and Kirchoff's laws to create a set of equations in terms of voltage? Note that the current changes at the junctions.

jhae2.718 said:
Those aren't voltmeters, but rather batteries--sources of electric potential.

You need to use Kirchoff's loop and junction rules, [tex]\textstyle \sum \Delta V = 0[/tex] and [tex]\textstyle \sum i = 0[/tex] (at a junction).

You know the potentials of the batteries and the resistances of the resistors. How can you use Ohm's law and Kirchoff's laws to create a set of equations in terms of voltage? Note that the current changes at the junctions.

eh, not sure but is it 3I1+6I2=12V and 3I1+I3=6v?

Thats for [tex]\textstyle \sum \Delta V = 0[/tex] how can i get the [tex]\textstyle \sum i = 0[/tex] part though? and I am not sure what you mean by the the sum of I is 0 at a junction

Look at the "T" shaped part of wire above the 3 Ohm resistor. If current i is flowing in, and two different currents (say, i1 and i2) flow out, if the sum has to be zero, what does this say about the relationship between the three currents?

(This requirement derives from conservation of charge.)

so 3I1=6I2+1I3?

i keep using the loop rule but i am getting nowhere

Also, should i be using the same I or different Is like I've been doing?

Last edited:
Different currents.

ok, how bout I1=I2+I3 whereas I1 is amp for 3 ohm resistor, I2 is amp for 6 ohm resistor, i3 is amp for 1 ohm resistorSo here's the formulas i have so far.

12=3I1+6I2
6=3I1+I3
I1=I2+I3
Ahh i got it... here's what i did, tell me if there's a simpler way. i combined these formulas. and used subsitution first to get rid of I3, made I2=2-.5I1 in the first equation then subsitute that into the second equation then i got the I1 value on one side and everything else on the side. (4.5I1=8V) then solved for I1 and got 1.7777777 which i guess got rounded to 1.8. thanks for the help. is there a simpler way of doing this though?

Last edited:
You usually have to solve the system. In some cases, you can use equivalent resistance to simplify the circuit.

Related to Can someone explain how to find stuff with 2 Voltmeters?

1. How do you connect two voltmeters to find a specific item?

To find a specific item using two voltmeters, you will need to connect the positive lead of one voltmeter to the positive terminal of the battery or power source. Then, connect the negative lead of the same voltmeter to one side of the item you are trying to find. Next, connect the positive lead of the second voltmeter to the other side of the item, and finally, connect the negative lead of the second voltmeter back to the negative terminal of the battery or power source.

2. Why do you need two voltmeters to find an item?

Using two voltmeters allows you to measure the potential difference (or voltage) across the item you are trying to find. This is known as a voltage drop, and it can help you determine the location of the item in the circuit.

3. How do you interpret the readings on the voltmeters to find the item?

The voltmeters will display the voltage readings in units of volts (V). The voltmeter connected to the positive terminal of the battery will show a higher voltage reading than the voltmeter connected to the negative terminal. The voltmeter connected to the side of the item closest to the positive terminal will show a lower voltage reading than the voltmeter connected to the other side of the item. The difference between these two readings (voltage drop) will help you locate the item.

4. Can this method be used to find any item in a circuit?

This method can be used to find any item in a circuit as long as it is connected in series with a power source. However, it is most commonly used to find faulty components or breaks in a circuit.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using two voltmeters to find an item?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the voltmeters are properly connected and that the circuit is not live (turned off) before making any connections. It is also important to use voltmeters with appropriate voltage ranges for the circuit you are working with to avoid damaging the equipment or risking electrocution.