Can scotch tape method get film size larger than particles?

In summary, the person is asking if it is possible to use the scotch tape method to obtain a hex-Boron Nitride thin film from hBN powder with a particle size larger than 10 um. They also ask about the possibility of using the peel off method to get a thin film and inquire about companies that provide high quality hBN powders. They are unsure about the effectiveness of the scotch tape method and suggest using alternative methods such as atomic layer deposition or chemical deposition.
leehoom
Hi there,

I am preparing to use the scotch tape method to get hex-Boron Nitride thin film from hBN powder. As far as I know, the available particle size for hBN is 10 um at most, is it possible for me to get hBN thin film using the peel off method with size larger than 10 um? If so, what is the largest possible dimension I can get? If not, how about peel off the hBN sheet to get hBN thin film?

Also, I will appreciate if anyone could tell me which company can provide very high quality hBN powders.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the scotch tape method (10 micrometers sounds pretty darn good to me, and if you get any that are larger, I expect it could be low quality/uneven surface compared to other methods). Does your institution have an atomic layer deposition or chemical deposition machines?

Related to Can scotch tape method get film size larger than particles?

1. Can scotch tape method increase the size of film particles?

No, the scotch tape method does not increase the size of film particles. It is used to capture particles on the tape for analysis, but it does not physically alter their size.

2. How does the scotch tape method work?

The scotch tape method involves pressing a piece of scotch tape onto a surface containing particles, such as a film. The tape is then removed and the particles are transferred onto the sticky side of the tape, where they can be analyzed under a microscope.

3. Is the scotch tape method an accurate way to measure particle size?

The scotch tape method can provide an estimate of particle size, but it may not be as accurate as other methods such as using a microscope or specialized particle sizing equipment.

4. Can the scotch tape method be used for all types of particles?

The scotch tape method is most commonly used for particles that are relatively flat and adhere well to the tape, such as dust particles or small fibers. It may not be suitable for measuring the size of spherical particles or particles that do not stick to the tape.

5. Are there any limitations to using the scotch tape method?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the scotch tape method. It may not be suitable for measuring the size of very small particles or for particles that are not evenly distributed on the surface. Additionally, the analysis may be subjective and dependent on the skill of the person performing the method.