Can Power Sets of Equinumerous Sets Remain Equinumerous?

• MHB
  • Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation A x A ~ A and how it can be used to prove P(A) x P(A) ~ P(A). The conversation also mentions several identities and rules used in set algebra to arrive at the solution.
issacnewton
Hi

Here is the problem. Let A be a set with at least two elements. Also suppose.

\[ A\times A \sim A \]

Then prove that

\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\sim \mathcal{P}(A) \]

Let a and b be the two elements of this set. Then I want to exploit the result that

\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim ^{A}(\{a,b\}) \]

and I also want to exploit the result that if C and D are disjoint sets, then

\[ \mathcal{P}(C\cup D)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(C)\times \mathcal{P}(D) \]

I tried playing around with this but couldn't get the result. Any ideas ?

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi

Here is the problem. Let A be a set with at least two elements. Also suppose.

\[ A\times A \sim A \]

Then prove that

\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\sim \mathcal{P}(A) \]

Let a and b be the two elements of this set. Then I want to exploit the result that

\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim ^{A}(\{a,b\}) \]

and I also want to exploit the result that if C and D are disjoint sets, then

\[ \mathcal{P}(C\cup D)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(C)\times \mathcal{P}(D) \]

I tried playing around with this but couldn't get the result. Any ideas ?
I could prove only the fact that,

$$ \mathcal{P}(A\times A)\sim \mathcal{P}(A) $$

Now, just show that,

$$ \mathcal{P}(A\times A)\sim \mathcal{P}(A)\times\mathcal{P}(A) $$
(I don't sure if it's true!)
And you done. (Why?)

Last edited:
HiGot the solution...
I am going to use the following identities in set algebra which deal
with equinumerous sets. I had asked the help for the proofs on
many identities at MHF and eventually posted the solutions there.
But now MHF is not there, all that work is lost... So here are the
identities I am going to use.. I have proved these before...1) For any set A \[ A\;\precsim\mathcal{P}(A) \]
2)For any sets A,B,C \[ ^{A}(B\times C)\;\sim\; ^{A}B\times\; ^{A}C \]
3) \[ C\subseteq D \Rightarrow C\precsim D \]
4)For any sets A,B,C \[ ^{(A\times B)}C\;\sim\; ^{A}( ^{B}C) \]
5)For any set A, \[ \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}\{1,0\} \]
here we can replace 1 and 0 by any other elements.

6)if \( A\;\precsim B\) and \( C\;\precsim D \) then
\[ A\times C\;\precsim B\times D \]
7)if \( A\;\precsim B\) then \[ \mathcal{P}(A)\precsim \mathcal{P}(B) \]
8)if \(A\neq\varnothing\) and \( A\;\precsim B\) and \( C\;\precsim D \)
then \[ ^{A}C\;\precsim\; ^{B}D \]
9)if \(A\cap B=\varnothing \) then
\[ \mathcal{P}(A\cup B)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(B) \]so here is the solution I got. since A has at least two elements, let
them be a and b . Now define, \( B=A\setminus \{a,b\} \). Using rule 9, we
have \[ \mathcal{P}(B\cup \{a,b\})\;\sim \mathcal{P}(B)\times \mathcal{P}(\{a,b\}) \]\[ \therefore \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(B)\times \mathcal{P}(\{a,b\}) \]which means

\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(B)\times \mathcal{P}(\{a,b\}) \]

Now \( B\subseteq A\) and \( \{a,b\}\subseteq A\), using rule 3 we have\[ B\;\precsim A\;;\;\{a,b\}\precsim A \]so using rule 7 we have\[ \mathcal{P}(B)\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A) \;;\;\mathcal{P}(\{a,b\})\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A)\]using rule 6, we get\[ \mathcal{P}(B)\times \mathcal{P}(\{a,b\})\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A) \]since \( \precsim \) is transitive , we have \[ \mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A) \cdots (E1)\]

Now \( \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}\{a,b\} \) so using rule 6 (but for equinumerous sets), we have\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}\{a,b\}\times ^{A}\{a,b\} \cdots (E2)\]using rule 2 we get\[ ^{A}\{a,b\}\times ^{A}\{a,b\}\;\sim\; ^{A}(\{a,b\}\times \{a,b\}) \cdots (E3)\]since \( \{a,b\}\;\precsim A \) , using rule 6 we get\[ \{a,b\}\times \{a,b\}\;\precsim A\times A \]but we have been given \( A\times A\;\sim A \), which implies that
\( A\times A\;\precsim A \), so using transitivity of \(\precsim\) we get\[ \{a,b\}\times \{a,b\}\;\precsim A \] Now we notice that for set A we have \( A\;\precsim A\) , and since
\( A\neq\varnothing \), using rule 8 we have\[ ^{A}(\{a,b\}\times \{a,b\})\;\precsim\; ^{A}A \cdots (E4)\] but using equations E2 ,E3 and E4 , we get \[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim ^{A}A \cdots (E5)\]Now, \( A\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A) \) using rule 1 and also we have
\( A\;\precsim A \). Since \( A\neq\varnothing \), using rule 8 we have
\( ^{A}A\;\precsim ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A) \). So using E5 we get\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim\; ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A) \cdots (E6)\]Now \( A\;\sim A\) and \( \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim ^{A}\{a,b\} \) and since
, using rule 8 (but for equinumerous sets), we have\[ ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}( ^{A}\{a,b\}) \cdots (E7)\]using rule 4 we get\[ ^{A}( ^{A}\{a,b\})\;\sim\; ^{(A\times A)}\{a,b\} \cdots (E8)\] But \( ^{(A\times A)}\{a,b\}\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A\times A) \) using rule 5, So
using E7 and E8 and transitivity of \(\sim\) we get

\[ ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A\times A) \] Now using rule 7 (but for equinumerous sets), we have\[ \because A\times A\;\sim A \Rightarrow \mathcal{P}(A\times A)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A) \]\[ \therefore ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A) \]\[ \therefore ^{A}\mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A) \] so using E6 we have\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\;\precsim \mathcal{P}(A) \cdots (E9)\]Using E1 and E9 , it follows from Cantor-Schroder-Bernstein theorem that\[ \mathcal{P}(A)\times \mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim \mathcal{P}(A) \]It seems too long for me. Is there a shorter way to get this ? its a lot of typing...(Whew)Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can Power Sets of Equinumerous Sets Remain Equinumerous?

1. What is a power set?

A power set is a set that contains all possible subsets of a given set. It includes the empty set and the original set itself.

2. How is the cardinality of a power set determined?

The cardinality of a power set is determined by raising the number 2 to the power of the cardinality of the original set. This is because for each element in the original set, there are two possible outcomes - either it is included in the subset or not.

3. How do power sets relate to set operations?

Power sets are closely related to set operations such as union, intersection, and complement. For example, the power set of the union of two sets is equal to the union of their respective power sets. Similarly, the power set of the intersection of two sets is equal to the intersection of their respective power sets.

4. What is the significance of power sets in mathematics?

Power sets are important in mathematics because they allow for a systematic way of representing all possible collections of elements from a given set. They are also used in various mathematical proofs and can help in solving problems related to set theory.

5. Are power sets unique?

No, power sets are not unique. The power set of a set with n elements will always have 2^n elements, but the specific elements within the power set can vary depending on the elements in the original set.