Can Plasma Filamentation be Achieved with Magnetic Fields?

• Thread starter Physicist50
  • Start date
  • Tags
    plasma
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding plasma condensation and the possibility of using magnetic fields to turn ionized molecules into filaments. The question is asking for explanations, calculations or references on how to do this, and someone suggests searching for Z-pinch for relevant information.
Physicist50
Gold Member
Hi guys,

To celebrate my 29th post (I know!) I wanted to ask an extra-good question, something I've been meaning to ask for a long time... So, following on from my previous post 'Plasma Condensation' (Hm, wonder what I'm studying?) I am going to ask something about something I read in Wikipedia (talk about dodgy sources) that - fingers-crossed - is true. See Here. The article said that applying certain magnetic fields to a plasma can somehow take advantage of the fact that the molecules are ionised and thus rendering it a sort of filament. A: Is this possible? and B: If yes to A how could I work out/find out what magnetic fields to apply?

Thanks in advance - if you answered my question - otherwise, meh. (Meaning a short dismissive grunt)

Physics news on Phys.org
The filaments can move just by waving your hand! You need to get your parents to buy you a plasma lamp to test this out.

Good point, but I really need to know how to turn a newly ionized plasma into a filament in the first place. Explanations, calculations or references of how to do this is perfect.

You can search Z-pinch, you should find the relevant info.

Wow, thanks maxime.lesur!

Related to Can Plasma Filamentation be Achieved with Magnetic Fields?

1. What is plasma filamentation?

Plasma filamentation is a phenomenon in which an ionized gas, known as plasma, forms into long, thin, and highly energized filaments. These filaments can be several meters in length and have a diameter of only a few micrometers.

2. How is plasma filamentation achieved?

Plasma filamentation can be achieved through various methods, such as using high-intensity laser pulses or strong electric fields. It can also be achieved by using magnetic fields, which can confine and guide the plasma into filamentary structures.

3. Can plasma filamentation be achieved with magnetic fields?

Yes, plasma filamentation can be achieved with magnetic fields. By using strong magnetic fields, the plasma can be confined and guided into filaments, similar to how electric fields can achieve plasma filamentation.

4. What are the potential applications of plasma filamentation with magnetic fields?

Plasma filamentation with magnetic fields has potential applications in various fields, such as plasma physics, astrophysics, and fusion energy research. It can also be used for laser-plasma interactions, particle acceleration, and as a diagnostic tool for studying plasma properties.

5. Are there any challenges in achieving plasma filamentation with magnetic fields?

Yes, there are challenges in achieving plasma filamentation with magnetic fields. One of the main challenges is the complexity of the magnetic field configuration needed to achieve stable and controllable plasma filaments. Additionally, the plasma parameters, such as density and temperature, must be carefully controlled to achieve filamentation.