Can Photos Be Recovered from Blocked Data?

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, the old smileys were better than the new ones. The change has caused the old smileys to be removed, and the smilies in the old posts have been replaced with a x and an indication that there was a smiley. Can you link me to these threads?
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
:(

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even remember what the old smilies were like but I really like the set in PF 4.0

What is it you find missing?

Yeah, what smilies do you want back?

For me the old ones were better. Not wide enough in range for my use of them which is not particularly extravagant I think, and I did occasionally import others, but those were of the same general type as the site ones. I would describe the new ones as somehow bloated and facetious and they remind me of the fat graffiti you often see along the walls of railways, in Europe anyway. A bad thing is, so far as I can see, the change has caused the smilies in the old posts to be removed, they are replaced with a x and an indication there was a smiley. Which is tantamount to saying they had no valid communicative purpose - but if you think that you might as well dispense with smileys altogether.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
A bad thing is, so far as I can see, the change has caused the smilies in the old posts to be removed, they are replaced with a x and an indication there was a smiley.
Can you link me to these threads?

epenguin said:
A bad thing is, so far as I can see, the change has caused the smilies in the old posts to be removed, they are replaced with a x and an indication there was a smiley.
I would be very surprised if that happened to regular smileys like :) and so on because they are stored as plain text and just displayed as smiley when someone opens the thread.
It can happen with external images if those disappear or get changed later.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you link me to these threads?

At random, #6 in this thread
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/archimedes-weapon.708670/#post-4492076

But I have seen others like it of late. I should say I am using mostly I-pad and I seem to sometimes see different things than other people. But you told me that many of the site changes were because a majority now accesses the site via such mobile devices.

epenguin said:
At random, #6 in this thread
Ah, that is because we don't have a devil smilie at this time :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Uh huh ... back to your old overly nice ways, huh. You devil you ;)

mfb said:
The two X images were attachments that do not exist any more.
They do exist, but they break the image proxy because they are using the img tag on an attachment file

mfb said:
I would be very surprised if that happened to regular smileys like :) and so on because they are stored as plain text and just displayed as smiley when someone opens the thread.
It can happen with external images if those disappear or get changed later.

:) );
Done that, couple of standard regular ones here. One gives a new fat smiley, the other stays as text.

Greg Bernhardt said:

OK, now I see some smileys have been translated into the new horrible ones, and others not into anything.

On form I guess if I try to insert a smiley of my choice it will sometimes work and sometimes not, according to caprices predictable only by the disinformaticians.

I really miss the :smile:, the :uh:, the :-p (or :-p, whichever is lascivious), and the exploding clam. The new ones just don't have the same implications.

phinds said:
Uh huh ... back to your old overly nice ways, huh. You devil you ;)

I guess there is a sanitisation cleanup operation and all the devils will get replaced by angels.

Likes mafagafo
epenguin said:
I guess there is a sanitisation cleanup operation and all the devils will get replaced by angels.
It's political correctness run amuck by gum ! Bring back the badness !

I see the list every time that I click on the "insert smilie" button. The problem is, we used the old ones in ways that matched their appearance rather than their title. For instance, I always used :uh:, which I think was supposed to indicate second thoughts, as a sign of paranoia or extreme wariness. I'm inclined to do the same with some of these, but that means that others might misinterpret my meaning. I just used "o_O" as a "stink-eye", but it will likely be construed as confusion.

PF smilies cropped 1.jpg
PF smilies cropped 2.jpg
PF smilies cropped 3.jpg

Here are the old smilies, I also preferred them. Can we get them back?

Likes ehild and epenguin
Danger said:
I really miss the :smile:, the :uh:, the :-p (or :-p, whichever is lascivious), and the exploding clam. The new ones just don't have the same implications.
Same here. However for some unknown reason, I backed up the smileys back in 2009. I have them all.
devil.gif

Last edited:
Likes mafagafo and Danger
Wow! Can you post those to a stickie so we can access them?

Danger said:
Wow! Can you post those to a stickie so we can access them?
There seems to be a 6 attachment limit on a post. I'll send Evo a PM to see where they could be stored.

Borg said:
I backed up the smileys back in 2009. I have them all. [PLAIN]http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy250/HughOfBorg/Animated/devil.gif[/QUOTE]
Amazing that you foresaw their disappearance five years into the future. You can be of great help to the rest of us. For starters, which stocks should we buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Danger and phinds
marcusl said:
Amazing that you foresaw their disappearance five years into the future. You can be of great help to the rest of us. For starters, which stocks should we buy?
Funny you should say that. I've been working on a program for the last two months to analyze stocks, generate scores based on a common set of parameters, and recommend which stocks to purchase.
wink-gif.gif

Anyway, I've created a thread that has all of the smileys including the ones that had animations. Evo has promised to turn it into a Stickey thread as Danger has requested. I'll add the link to my signature also. Enjoy.
smile-gif.gif

Smileys from the past

Last edited:
Likes ehild and Danger
And to think that I used to love you only for your money... :D

epenguin said:
so far as I can see, the change has caused the smilies in the old posts to be removed, they are replaced with a x and an indication there was a smiley.
(I was asked for and gave an example).
Greg Bernhardt said:

Now I've seen the same thing has happened to many of the photos in old photo competitions. More irreparable degradation of World Cultural Heritage! :( :L

And is it only me or is anyone else finding the current photo competition has been having a now-you-see-it now-you-don't behaviour?

PS I begin to see what's happening. If you go to General Discussion you see the new photo competition thread, if you click on Photography you don't. For this reason I missed out on a few rounds of the competition.

Last edited:
The photo competitions are in GD where more people see them, then after the contest they are moved to photography. Sorry for the confusion.

OK thx. :oldsmile:

But it's a pity so many photos have been blocked, I don't know whether the data is destroyed.

I just saw among them were some of yours Evo, e.g. your greenhouse.

I humbly :bow: make you the modest proposal that if it is possible to recover them it would be a better use of your time than so severely persecuting harmless philosophers. :olduhh: :oldsmile:

Likes Danger

Related to Can Photos Be Recovered from Blocked Data?

1. Why don't people like the new smileys?

There could be a variety of reasons why some people do not like the new smileys. It could be a matter of personal preference, or they may feel that the new smileys do not accurately convey the intended emotion. Additionally, some people may simply be resistant to change and prefer the old smileys they are used to.

2. Are the new smileys scientifically proven to be less effective?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that the new smileys are less effective than the old ones. Emojis and smileys are a form of nonverbal communication and their effectiveness can vary depending on the individual and the context of the conversation. What may be perceived as a "better" smiley to one person may not be the same for another.

3. How were the new smileys designed?

The design process for the new smileys likely involved a team of designers and psychologists who analyzed current trends and studied human emotions and expressions. They may have also conducted user testing to gather feedback and make adjustments to the designs.

4. Can we expect to see more changes to the smileys in the future?

It is possible that the smileys may continue to evolve and change over time. As technology and communication methods advance, so do the ways in which we express ourselves. However, there is no way to predict exactly what these changes may be or when they will occur.

5. How can we provide feedback on the new smileys?

If you have feedback or suggestions for the new smileys, you can reach out to the company or platform that released them. They may have a designated feedback channel or you can send an email to their customer support team. Your feedback may help inform future updates or changes to the smileys.