Can Photons Be Accelerated by Altering Their Path?

• I
  • Thread starter Mridul Tripathi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photon
In summary: This can be achieved by bouncing the photon off a mirror or by passing it through a medium with varying refractive index. However, the speed of a photon (c) cannot be changed, as it is already traveling at the maximum speed possible. This is due to the fact that photons have no mass and therefore cannot be accelerated in the traditional sense. So while we can change the direction of a photon, we cannot accelerate it.
Mridul Tripathi
I am a student . My question is that in what way we can accelerate a photon , is this possible ?
I am a student . My question is that in what way we can accelerate a photon , is this possible ?
what if i pass the light to a medium of varying refractive index,containing lots of biprism at random angles so the velocity vector and the velocity will both change. does this will accelerate the photon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Photon travels with speed c.So I don't think we can accelerate it

Mridul Tripathi said:
I don't think this is possible. For example, photons are already traveling at the speed of light when they are created. There is no need to accelerate them.

Actually, velocity is a vector. So even though the speed of a light pulse never changes, the direction of the velocity can. For example, by the light bouncing off a mirror. Also, in General Relativity, the path of a light pulse can be bent by gravity. Whether you consider these to be "acceleration" is a matter of semantics.

Also, light travels slower through a medium (such as glass), so in that sense, light can accelerate when it passes from glass into air.

This question is actually a relativity question, rather than a quantum mechanics question. I know the question was expressed in terms of photons, but the question is really about the behavior of light. If there is nothing specifically quantum-mechanical to be said, I might (using my superpowers as a mentor) move the thread to the relativity forum.

Mridul Tripathi said:

Photons are always at c. So what is there to accelerate?

Zz.

One can accelerate a photon by changing its direction, but not by changing its speed.

Related to Can Photons Be Accelerated by Altering Their Path?

1. Can a photon be accelerated?

Yes, a photon can be accelerated. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, a photon has energy and momentum, and therefore can be accelerated by external forces.

2. How can a photon be accelerated?

A photon can be accelerated through a process called "Compton scattering." This is when a photon interacts with an electron, transferring a portion of its energy to the electron and increasing its speed.

3. What is the maximum speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light in a vacuum. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Can a photon be decelerated or stopped?

No, a photon cannot be decelerated or stopped like other particles. This is because it has no rest mass and always travels at the speed of light. However, it can be absorbed by certain materials, effectively stopping its movement.

5. Can a photon be accelerated to infinite speed?

No, it is impossible for a photon to be accelerated to infinite speed. As stated before, the speed of light is the maximum speed in the universe. Additionally, as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase, making it more difficult to accelerate further.