Can Newton's Binomial be Used to Prove the Equation ΣC(2+k,4) = (n+3,4)?

• Thread starter Lilia
  • Start date
In summary: A(z)}{1-z} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{j=0}^k a_j \right) z^k = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {a_k z^k} = a_k.$$So, the sum of two adjacent terms in the same row, as B and C are, is equal to the sum of the terms on the right hand side.
Lilia

Homework Statement

Using the Newton's binomial, prove that
ΣC(2+k,4) = (n+3,4), k=0,n

Homework Equations

(1+x)^n + (1+x)^m = (1+x)^(n+m)
r≤min(m,n) => ΣC(n,k) * C(m,r-k) = C(n+m,k

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried to see that this equation is correct with an example, n=3. But for the left side I get --- CC2,4)+C(3,4)+C(4,4)+C(5,4) = 6
And for the right side --- C(6,4)=C(6,2)=15
Maybe this is not a part of the process of proving but why is this happening?

And please provide me with some guidance on how to think to prove this

Physics news on Phys.org
Lilia said:

Homework Statement

Using the Newton's binomial, prove that
ΣC(2+k,4) = (n+3,4), k=0,n

Homework Equations

(1+x)^n + (1+x)^m = (1+x)^(n+m)
r≤min(m,n) => ΣC(n,k) * C(m,r-k) = C(n+m,k

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried to see that this equation is correct with an example, n=3. But for the left side I get --- CC2,4)+C(3,4)+C(4,4)+C(5,4) = 6
And for the right side --- C(6,4)=C(6,2)=15
Maybe this is not a part of the process of proving but why is this happening?

And please provide me with some guidance on how to think to prove this
It is always a good idea to check those formulas with small values. It might not only point to errors, it also might give you an idea how to prove them.
Also, what I don't get is, why does the sum start at ##k=0## instead of ##k=2##? And isn't the case ##n=1## already wrong?

So please check, if you got it right or if (at least me) has made a mistake as I took it for ##\sum_{k=0}^n \binom{2+k}{4}=\binom{n+3}{4} ##

Well... With some quick googling I found a proof of Newton's binomial formula using proof by induction. Proof was from university of Helsinki (so the math research paper was in Finnish language)
http://www.helsinki.fi/~koskenoj/alg1/binomikaava.pdf

I'm not very good at proving in maths myself but that proof by induction could be one style of proof to go for...

in the exercise k is from 0 to n, but the values 0 and 1 are useless because C(2,4) and C(3,4) are both 0. and yeah, n=1 is wrong too. so this equation is not correct?

Lilia said:
in the exercise k is from 0 to n, but the values 0 and 1 are useless because C(2,4) and C(3,4) are both 0. and yeah, n=1 is wrong too. so this equation is not correct?
At least not for all ##n##, maybe for some, but I doubt it. Calculating it for a few small ##n## I assume some patterns. The LHS looks like it always has a remainder ##1## on a division by ##5## and the RHS is divisible by ##5##. And the LHS is always the sum of both sides from the previous one.

I just noticed that, that's interestingly true. I calculated both sides for a few n but they never get equal.

Lilia said:
I just noticed that, that's interestingly true. I calculated both sides for a few n but they never get equal.
If you like to practice, you could prove my three claims and that the term on the right is always greater than the sum on the left.

So, if it's

sum of C(2+m,2) = C(n+3,3), m=0,n

We have a formula:

sum of C(k+m,k) = C(k+1+n,k+1)

Is there a way to prove this?

Lilia said:
So, if it's

We have a formula:

Indeed.
You could get a clue by writing out a few rows of Pascal's triangle. The sum consists of adding terms parallel to the right hand side, starting with a 1 at the top. Call that A. The next term in the sum is the one below and right of it. Call that B. Note that the term below and left of A (call that C) is also a 1, so adding A and B gives the same as adding C and B.
What do you know about the sum of two adjacent terms in the same row, as B and C are?

Lilia said:
So, if it's

We have a formula:

You can use the following facts from generating function theory:
(1) Newton's binomial theorem (not the elementary binomial theorem!) gives
$$(1-z)^{-p} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {-p \choose k} (-z)^k, $$
where for integer ##p > 0## we have
$${ -p \choose k} = \frac{(-p)(p-1) \cdots (-p-k+1)}{k!} = (-1)^k {p+k-1 \choose k}$$.
Thus
$$ (1-z)^{-p} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} {p+k-1 \choose k} z^k, $$
for integer ##p > 0##.

(2) If ##A(z) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} a_k z^k##, then
$$\frac{A(z)}{1-z} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \left( \sum_{j=0}^k a_j \right) z^k .$$
Apply this to ##A(z) = (1-z)^{-p}##.

haruspex said:
Indeed.
You could get a clue by writing out a few rows of Pascal's triangle. The sum consists of adding terms parallel to the right hand side, starting with a 1 at the top. Call that A. The next term in the sum is the one below and right of it. Call that B. Note that the term below and left of A (call that C) is also a 1, so adding A and B gives the same as adding C and B.
What do you know about the sum of two adjacent terms in the same row, as B and C are?
Starting row count from 0, on the nth row the sum of two adjacent terms is C(n,k) + C(n,k+1). I see similarities to the formula but there on the left side we have a sum of choosing k elements, whereas here this formula is the sum which consists of choosing k elements then k+1 elements

Lilia said:
Starting row count from 0, on the nth row the sum of two adjacent terms is C(n,k) + C(n,k+1). I see similarities to the formula but there on the left side we have a sum of choosing k elements, whereas here this formula is the sum which consists of choosing k elements then k+1 elements
Start with an (n,0) term and add it to the (n+1,1) term. (n,0) and (n+1,0) are both 1, so this is the same as adding (n+1,0) and (n+1,1), which of course produces (n+2,1). Now add in the (n+2,2), and so forth.

I did that, but I don't get to the proving part

Lilia said:
I did that, but I don't get to the proving part
Use what you discovered from that to set up an inductive hypothesis and show that it is sustained.

Related to Can Newton's Binomial be Used to Prove the Equation ΣC(2+k,4) = (n+3,4)?

1. What does it mean to "prove" an equation?

Proving an equation means to show that the equation is true for all possible values of the variables involved. This involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to demonstrate that the equation holds true.

2. How do you prove an equation?

To prove an equation, you must show that both sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation, substitution, or other mathematical techniques. It is also important to clearly state each step of the proof and justify why it is valid.

3. Can an equation be proven to be false?

No, an equation cannot be proven to be false. If the equation does not hold true for all possible values of the variables involved, then it is not considered an equation. It is important to note that an equation can be disproven if a counterexample is found where the equation does not hold true.

4. Why is it important to prove equations?

Proving equations is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy and validity of mathematical statements. It also helps to build a deeper understanding of the concepts and relationships involved in the equation, which can then be applied to solve more complex problems.

5. Are there different methods for proving equations?

Yes, there are various methods for proving equations such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by mathematical induction, and proof by contrapositive. The method used will depend on the specific equation and the approach that is most appropriate for the problem at hand.