Can Missing Private Messages Be Retrieved from Inbox?

• Bug
  • Thread starter drankin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has noticed that their PMs are disappearing from their inbox when they go back to it. They suspect it may be due to a bug with their account and are seeking assistance from PF contributors. Another contributor has also experienced this issue.
drankin
Recently, I've noticed that any pms I get will disappear from my inbox when I go back to it. It's like they were never there. Could my missing messages be retrieved? I've had a couple since June of last year that have vanished.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never had any PMs disappear, are you sure that you didn't accidently delete them?

drankin said:
Recently, I've noticed that any pms I get will disappear from my inbox when I go back to it. It's like they were never there. Could my missing messages be retrieved? I've had a couple since June of last year that have vanished.

Thanks in advance.
You could ask the people that sent the PMs if they still have them in their "sent messages" folder.

Evo said:
I've never had any PMs disappear, are you sure that you didn't accidently delete them?

Yep, I'm sure. I hit my back button after a message I got and then went back into my pms. Gone. There are a couple of people I've tried to have conversations with but their messages disappear.

Gokul43201 said:
You could ask the people that sent the PMs if they still have them in their "sent messages" folder.

That's what sucks. I get a message relating to a post, so I quickly click over to the post to get the context of the pm and then go back to my inbox, but it's gone. I didn't take note of who sent the pm. I don't get a lot of pms so I forget that there is this bug with my pms. My bad for not paying attention to who sent it before I clicked over.

As a PF contributor I'm asking for assistance with this issue. Is there someone I can talk to?

drankin said:
As a PF contributor I'm asking for assistance with this issue. Is there someone I can talk to?

I'll look into when I get home. Very odd.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll look into when I get home. Very odd.

Thanks, Greg. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that at one time I had a different username and email. There was some confusion with accounts at that time to where I couldn't log in with my new username. But, maybe that is unrelated.

Bump.

I'm feeling a little neglected. :(

I've had a couple vanish as well. I just figured that I'd screwed up somehow.

Related to Can Missing Private Messages Be Retrieved from Inbox?

What causes private messages to disappear?

There are several possible reasons for private messages to disappear. It could be due to a technical issue with the messaging platform, accidental deletion by the sender or recipient, or intentional deletion by the sender.

Can private messages be recovered after they disappear?

It depends on the specific messaging platform and the reason for the disappearance. Some platforms have a feature to recover deleted messages, while others do not. If the message was accidentally deleted, there may be a chance to recover it. However, if it was intentionally deleted by the sender, it may not be possible to recover it.

How can I prevent my private messages from disappearing?

To prevent private messages from disappearing, it is important to regularly back up your messages. This can usually be done by exporting or saving your messages to a computer or external storage device. Additionally, it may be helpful to communicate with trusted individuals and avoid sending sensitive information through private messages.

Do private messages disappear automatically?

In most cases, private messages do not disappear automatically. They usually only disappear if they are intentionally or accidentally deleted. However, some messaging platforms may have a feature to automatically delete messages after a certain time period, so it is important to check the platform's settings.

Is there a way to retrieve private messages that were deleted a long time ago?

It depends on the messaging platform and the specific circumstances. Some platforms may have a feature to retrieve deleted messages within a certain time frame, while others may not. It is always best to regularly back up your messages to avoid losing them permanently.