Can Mechanical Engineers work with Civil Engineer jobs?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is currently a mechanical engineering major and is drawn to the field because of their interest in physics and science, as well as the potential for a rewarding career. They have recently become interested in traffic engineering and are curious about the possibility of using their mechanical engineering degree to work in the civil engineering field. It is suggested that they reach out to companies and consider taking courses or independent studies in civil engineering to gain more experience in the field.
zachucsd
Hello.
I am currently a mechanical engineering major.
I am drawn to the mechanical engineering major because I like physics, all science really, and I believe this degree will teach me a lot about how devices/machines/physical objects work as well as how to build/manipulate the world around me.
And good career options.

I recently became interested in the idea of being a traffic engineer, because I love the idea of designing roads/transportation infrastructure. It seems to have the fun design work of an architect with the cool computational work of an engineer, while throwing in some general concepts of psychology, even a touch of biology, both of which I am fond of.
I am interested in tidbits of every area of science, and am kind of a "big picture" concepts person, so working with traffic systems seems cool to me.
I am prepared to handle detailed work as well of course, I am just saying that I like to look at situations as a whole.

With a mechanical engineering degree, can I get involved in civil engineering departments or firms? Civil engineering seems to be the path to traffic engineering.

Btw, only structural engineering is offered at my school, not civil.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Companies like Siemens utilize a plethora of disciplines in their transportation systems division and they are not the only company doing this kind of work. Find the company you would like to work for, get in touch with them and find out what their upcoming requirements will be. Do a summer independent study in the field or take a summer course somewhere other than your current school. Ideally you will live near a grad school that offers night courses in CE or whichever discipline you decide to concentrate on.

Related to Can Mechanical Engineers work with Civil Engineer jobs?

1. Can mechanical engineers work in the field of civil engineering?

Yes, mechanical engineers can work in the field of civil engineering. While their primary focus may be on designing and building mechanical systems, they can also apply their knowledge and skills to civil engineering projects such as construction, infrastructure, and transportation.

2. What skills do mechanical engineers need to work in civil engineering?

Mechanical engineers working in civil engineering may need to have knowledge and skills in areas such as fluid mechanics, structural analysis, materials science, and project management. They should also have a strong understanding of building codes and regulations.

3. Are there specific job roles for mechanical engineers in civil engineering?

Yes, there are specific job roles for mechanical engineers in civil engineering, such as HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) design engineer, plumbing engineer, and fire protection engineer. They may also work as project managers, construction managers, or research and development engineers.

4. Do mechanical engineers need additional training to work in civil engineering?

While mechanical engineers may have a strong foundation in engineering principles, they may benefit from additional training or education in specific areas of civil engineering, such as structural design or geotechnical engineering. This can help them become more specialized and competitive in the job market.

5. Can mechanical engineers transfer to civil engineering without any experience?

It may be difficult for mechanical engineers to transfer to civil engineering without any experience in the field. However, with additional training and a strong understanding of civil engineering principles, they may be able to transition into a civil engineering role. It is also helpful to gain practical experience through internships or entry-level positions in civil engineering before attempting to make the switch.