Can makeshift air conditioning really work?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a photo captioned "Makeshift air conditioning" that elicits laughter from one person. Others join in and share their own experiences with using portable spot coolers and refrigerators for cooling purposes, with one person pointing out the mistake of rejecting heat into the ceiling plenum. The conversation ends with a comment on the durability of using a refrigerator for a PC water cooling system.
gregarob
The caption of this photo was, "Makeshift air conditioning." I couldn't stop laughing. Someone needs to take a class in thermodynamics.

Attachments

• n1064040021_1429750_8990.jpg
    n1064040021_1429750_8990.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

That's a common mistake, unfortunately. I'm an HVAC engineer and I've seen portable spot coolers used to augment insufficient air conditioning...with the spot cooler rejecting its heat into the ceiling plenum, where the air is picked-up by the room's built-in air conditioning. Oops.

Well, that motor won't last long. I had a large refrigerator that I broke down for use with a PC water cooling system and it only lasted about a week cycling it intermittently.

Related to Can makeshift air conditioning really work?

What is makeshift air conditioning?

Makeshift air conditioning refers to a temporary or improvised method of cooling a space or room without the use of traditional air conditioning units. It typically involves using household items or simple tools to create a cooling effect.

How does makeshift air conditioning work?

Makeshift air conditioning works by utilizing basic principles of thermodynamics to create a cooling effect. This can include using materials that absorb heat, such as ice or water, to lower the temperature in a space.

What are some common materials used for makeshift air conditioning?

Some common materials used for makeshift air conditioning include fans, coolers, ice, frozen water bottles, and wet towels. These materials are used to create a cool and comfortable environment without the need for a traditional air conditioning unit.

Is makeshift air conditioning effective?

The effectiveness of makeshift air conditioning depends on the specific method used and the conditions of the space. It may not be as effective as a traditional air conditioning unit, but it can provide some relief from hot and humid conditions.

Are there any safety concerns with makeshift air conditioning?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with makeshift air conditioning, especially if it involves using electrical appliances or materials that can cause damage or injury. It is important to use caution and follow safety guidelines when setting up makeshift air conditioning units.