Can Longer Waves Enhance the Quantum Eraser Effect at Home?

In summary, the author suggests that photons have more complex structure than was previously thought, and that an experiment could be conducted to test this idea.
Alvydas
Hello,
some time ago I had a little idea which was posted here:
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=21247
(see the last post)
Maybe some minds about such possibility to explain the phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alvydas said:
After quantum pass the wire with diagonal polarizers it gets double
polarizations
What do you mean by "double polarization"? If light passes a diagonal polarizer it will be polarized diagonally. There is no difference between diagonal, horizontal and vertical polarization, except for orientation.

Hydr0matic said:
What do you mean by "double polarization"? If light passes a diagonal polarizer it will be polarized diagonally. There is no difference between diagonal, horizontal and vertical polarization, except for orientation.

Lets consider something like/similar to pilot wave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_wave
which pass both slits simultaneously and gets one of two passable double polarizations.

I see nothing on that page that explains what you mean by "double polarizations". Looking at your eraser setup, I see no difference from the lecture setup except that you've turned all polarizers 45° and split the eraser in two parts. If you're looking for an "easy classical" explanation, a nonlocal hidden variable theory is not the way to go.

Hydr0matic said:
I see nothing on that page that explains what you mean by "double polarizations". Looking at your eraser setup, I see no difference from the lecture setup except that you've turned all polarizers 45° and split the eraser in two parts. If you're looking for an "easy classical" explanation, a nonlocal hidden variable theory is not the way to go.

I do not know the exact answer. But is my idea more weird than any other?
Could we just think about an experiment which would be able to test it?

Yes here is just turned polarizers 45°, nothing new in setup.

Somewhere I had read that the results of this experiment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13626587
very well fits to pilot wave interpretation.

But the most interesting would be to know is here some experimental possibilities to test the idea.

Alvydas said:
I do not know the exact answer. But is my idea more weird than any other?
What idea?

Hydr0matic said:
What idea?

That photon has more complex structure than it was thought before.
That some, maybe not equivalent parts of it can pass slits simultaneously and whole
photon's structure can enter some unknown until now state of double oscillations perpendicular to each other.
I can not know exactly how it can work in details.
Anyway it looks more realistic compare to interpretations like “many worlds”.

Last edited:
Sorry, but your conceptual understanding of photons is lacking. Read up on classical electrodynamics and the history of quantum theory.

Hydr0matic said:
Sorry, but your conceptual understanding of photons is lacking. Read up on classical electrodynamics and the history of quantum theory.

I am not stating that my idea is the best. This is not my area.
But still I know a little something about photon :smile:

If the idea is wrong maybe could be some experimental way to prove it?

Do someone tried to use longer waves for mentioned experiment?
Let say 1- 10 mm.

Related to Can Longer Waves Enhance the Quantum Eraser Effect at Home?

1. What is a Quantum Eraser / Home Version?

A Quantum Eraser / Home Version is a device used in quantum mechanics experiments to demonstrate the principles of quantum entanglement and superposition. It is a simplified version of a larger and more complex apparatus used in scientific research.

2. How does the Quantum Eraser / Home Version work?

The Quantum Eraser / Home Version works by using a beam splitter to split a photon into two entangled particles. One particle is sent down a path with two possible outcomes, while the other is sent down a path with four possible outcomes. The two particles are then reunited and can interact with each other, demonstrating the concept of superposition and entanglement.

3. Can anyone use a Quantum Eraser / Home Version or is it only for scientists?

The Quantum Eraser / Home Version is designed to be user-friendly and can be used by anyone with an interest in quantum mechanics. However, a basic understanding of quantum mechanics principles is recommended in order to fully understand and appreciate the results of the experiment.

4. What are the practical applications of a Quantum Eraser / Home Version?

The Quantum Eraser / Home Version is primarily used as a teaching tool to help people understand the concepts of quantum mechanics. It can also be used for basic research and experimentation, but its applications are limited compared to larger and more precise scientific equipment.

5. Can the results of the Quantum Eraser / Home Version experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the results of the Quantum Eraser / Home Version experiment cannot be explained by classical physics. The principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, are not applicable in classical physics and are necessary to understand and interpret the results of the experiment.