Can Logarithmic Properties Simplify This Equation?

In summary, the equation for solving a logarithm is: log(a*b)=loga+logb, where a and b are the inputs. The attempt at a solution states that they don't know how to start but can remember the rule 3 (+3), 6 (+6), 12 (+12), 24. They suggest that diredragon try to post the picture file again. They got their answer by calculating the right side expression and ended up with 2x + 3.
diredragon

Homework Statement

For clarification a have posted the equation below as a picture file.[/B]

Homework Equations

log(a*b)= loga + logb
log(a/b) = loga-logb
log(a^n) = nloga[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start. I can't remember the rule for powering the logarithms if there is any. Any hint would do...
Its got to do something with the fact that the numbers inside the logarithms go by some sort of a rule, 3 (+3), 6 (+6), 12 (+12), 24[/B]

Attachments

• 20151115_150457.jpg
    20151115_150457.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey diredragon, maybe you could try to post the picture file once more, I don't seem to be able to see it.

My mistake sorry it seems it read error the last time. Can you see it now?

Yes I can see it now, looks interesting, I'll have a go at it.

diredragon said:

Homework Equations

log(a*b)= loga + logb
log(a/b) = loga/logb
log(a^n) = nloga[/B]
Second one is a typo, should be
log(a/b) = loga-logb

Hints:
##2^{log_2x}=x##

##log_26=log_23+log_22=log_23+1##
##log_212=log_23+log_24=log_23+2##
and so on ...
If you calculate the right side expression in terms of ##log_23##, it simplifies nicely.

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
Second one is a typo, should be
log(a/b) = loga-logb
Yup, missed that

Yeah, i think i got it, the numbers do play a role as i can take out log2(3) for the other members as they all then can be if i apply the product rule like log2(6) = log2(2) + log2(3) = 1 + log(3). Ill have a go at it a bit later but ill appreciate it if you can try it so i can compare my results.

diredragon said:
Ill have a go at it a bit later but ill appreciate it if you can try it so i can compare my results.
In case you want to compare with my result:
I got ##2^A=72## by simply calculating the right side expression using the hints given in my previous post. Maybe there is a smarter (and quicker) way to solve it.

I'm curious, could you share exactly what you did when you say you got your answer by 'calculating the right side expression'? I feel like I've missed a short-cut and taken the long way around: I replaced log2(3) with x, so: 1/6( (x)^3 - (x + 1)^3 - (x + 2)^3 + (x + 3)^3 ), evaluated that, and ended up with 2x + 3.

So that left me with 2^[2(log2(3)) + 3]. I feel like that can be simplified, but I don't know how. I plug it into a calculator and I got the answer you got, so I know everything I've done so far is correct (but probably inefficient...)

Last edited:
2^(2log2(3) + 3) = (2^3)*2(log2(3^2)) = 8*3^2 = 72
If it helps n*logb(c) = logb(c^n)

Nahcirn said:
I'm curious, could you share exactly what you did when you say you got your answer by 'calculating the right side expression'? I feel like I've missed a short-cut and taken the long way around: I replaced log2(3) with x, so: 1/6( (x)^3 - (x + 1)^3 - (x + 2)^3 + (x + 3)^3 ), evaluated that, and ended up with 2x + 3.
That's exactly what I did (there may be a shortcut that escaped me).

Nahcirn said:
So that left me with 2^[2(log2(3)) + 3]. I feel like that can be simplified, but I don't know how. I plug it into a calculator and I got the answer you got, so I know everything I've done so far is correct (but probably inefficient...)
You end up with ##A=2*\log_23+3##
Then, using the properties of the logarithm given previously, and ##2^{log_2y}=y##:
##2^A=2^{(2*\log_23+3)}=2^{\log_23^2}*2^3=3^2*2^3=9*8=72##

It does seem like there is a shorter way out. Maybe there is a formula that calculates the sum of n consecutive cubes?

diredragon said:
2^(2log2(3) + 3) = (2^3)*2(log2(3^2)) = 8*3^2 = 72
If it helps n*logb(c) = logb(c^n)

For some reason I couldn't see that 2^log2(3^2) was the same thing as 3^2... It was easier to see when I turned the 3^2 into 9.

I just needed to remember that logarithms and exponents with the same base cancel each other out (which is the definition of a logarithm... Kind of important).

Thank you!

Still curious if there's a faster way, though.

Related to Can Logarithmic Properties Simplify This Equation?

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that contains a logarithm, which is the inverse of an exponential function. Logarithms are used to solve for unknown variables that are in the exponent of an exponential function.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation and isolate the variable. Remember to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain equality.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and the change of base rule. These properties can be used to rewrite or simplify logarithmic expressions and equations.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation. Most scientific calculators have a log function that allows you to input the base and the argument of the logarithm to get the solution.

5. Are there any restrictions when solving a logarithmic equation?

Yes, there are two main restrictions when solving a logarithmic equation. The argument of the logarithm cannot be negative, and the base of the logarithm must be positive and not equal to 1. If these restrictions are not met, the solution will be undefined.