Can lithium blankets increase bremsstrahlung absorption in fusion research?

In summary: No, researchers have not tried to make lithium blankets reflect those radiations and trap the radiation inside, eventually increasing the absorption rate.
TESL@
As far as I know, bremsstrahlung radiation -especially cyclotron- can be absorbed by the plasma but it escapes because it is not dense enough etc. Have researchers tried to make lithium blankets reflect those radiations and trap the radiation inside, eventually increasing the absorption rate?

Thank you.

edit: I think it is called "cavity enhanced plasma self-absorption" but it has not yet been used in fusion, or is it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TESL@ said:
As far as I know, bremsstrahlung radiation -especially cyclotron- can be absorbed by the plasma but it escapes because it is not dense enough etc. Have researchers tried to make lithium blankets reflect those radiations and trap the radiation inside, eventually increasing the absorption rate?

Thank you.

edit: I think it is called "cavity enhanced plasma self-absorption" but it has not yet been used in fusion, or is it?
Brehmsstrahlung radiation and cyclotron radiation represent two separate phenomena or sources.

Brehmsstrahlung radiation originates from electrons (usually) accelerating in the vicinity of nuclei and the emitted photons are in the X-ray range.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/xrayc.htmlCyclotron radiation involves charged particles interaction perpendicularly to the magnetic field lines, hence cyclotron, and they are in the radiofrequency range. Microwave heating is one method of heating a plasma.

http://casa.colorado.edu/~wcash/APS3730/chapter5.pdf
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/teaching/astr601/lecture16.pdf

"Strictly speaking, braking radiation is any radiation due to the acceleration of a charged particle, which includes synchrotron radiation, cyclotron radiation, and the emission of electrons and positrons during beta decay. However, the term is frequently used in the more narrow sense of radiation from electrons (from whatever source) slowing in matter." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremsstrahlung)

But it doesn't matter, I asked something different. Have you ever encountered a kind of mirror to improve absorption of these emissions? Isn't it clever to do so?

Last edited:
I appreciate any answer. :)

Related to Can lithium blankets increase bremsstrahlung absorption in fusion research?

1. What is Bremsstrahlung absorption?

Bremsstrahlung absorption is a type of electromagnetic radiation that occurs when high-energy charged particles, such as electrons, are slowed down or deflected by the electric field of an atom. This results in the emission of photons, which can be absorbed by other atoms.

2. How does Bremsstrahlung absorption differ from other types of absorption?

Bremsstrahlung absorption differs from other types of absorption, such as photoelectric absorption or Compton scattering, because it involves the emission of photons by the charged particles rather than the absorption of photons by the atoms.

3. What is the significance of Bremsstrahlung absorption in scientific research?

Bremsstrahlung absorption is important in the study of high-energy phenomena, such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactions. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays, where the absorption of Bremsstrahlung photons by tissues can be used to create images of the body.

4. How is Bremsstrahlung absorption affected by the energy of the charged particles?

The energy of the charged particles has a direct impact on the energy of the emitted photons in Bremsstrahlung absorption. Higher energy particles will emit higher energy photons, resulting in a broader spectrum of emitted radiation.

5. Can Bremsstrahlung absorption be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, Bremsstrahlung absorption can be controlled and manipulated. It is possible to adjust the energy of the charged particles, as well as the material and thickness of the absorbing medium, to change the intensity and spectrum of the emitted radiation.