Can kinetic energy be added linearly?

In summary, according to special relativity, velocity cannot be added to another velocity linearly. However, when considering kinetic energy, the increase in mass of an object as its velocity increases can "compensate" for the less-than-expected increase in velocity predicted by classical mechanics. This aligns with the relativistic equation for kinetic energy, K.E. = (\gamma-1)mc2. It is important to check the math and consider frame transformations when examining this concept.
kbar1
According to special relativity, velocity cannot be added to another velocity linearly. But I was thinking, what about kinetic energy? K.E. = mv2/2. As velocity increases, the object's mass also increases. The way I see it, the increase in mass "compensates" for the less-than-expected increase in velocity (as predicted by classical mechanics). So am I right in saying, kinetic energy can be added linearly?

Does what I said above agree with relativistic K.E. equation: K.E. = ([itex]\gamma[/itex]-1)mc2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
kbar1 said:
The way I see it, the increase in mass "compensates" for the less-than-expected increase in velocity (as predicted by classical mechanics).

Have you actually checked the math?

kbar1 said:
Does what I said above agree with relativistic K.E. equation: K.E. = ([itex]\gamma[/itex]-1)mc2 ?

This is the correct equation; so have you checked to see what happens when you transform between frames?

Related to Can kinetic energy be added linearly?

1. Can kinetic energy be added linearly?

Yes, kinetic energy can be added linearly as long as the velocities of the objects are in the same direction. This is known as the principle of superposition in mechanics.

2. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of an object directly affects its kinetic energy. The greater the mass, the greater the kinetic energy, assuming the velocity remains constant.

4. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's motion. Negative kinetic energy would imply that the object is moving backwards, which is not possible.

5. How is kinetic energy different from potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa, but they are fundamentally different forms of energy.