Can I use the range formula for this

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile being launched off a cliff at 45 degrees, with coordinates (4.5, 4.8). The problem was solved using a computer simulation and the range equation (R=(Vo)2/g times sin2theta). The accuracy of the solution was verified by comparing it to the actual value of 9.81, with a 1.9% error. The possibility of using the range equation to solve for g is also mentioned.
Juicy J

Homework Statement

Projectile is launched off cliff at 45 degrees. The coordinates from which the thing is launched are (4.5, 4.8). I had to do this via computer simulation (interactive physics) with different Vxo and Vyo used

Given:
Xo 4.5
Yo 4.8

I additionally recorded the Hmax, Xf and the Vo can be found because the components are given

We compare the computer readout (reading a graph) and maunally check if the computer solves for g correctly

Homework Equations

R=(Vo)2/g times sin2theta

If their was no cliff and launched from ground, R is |Xf-Xo|

For another problem, when a projectile was launched from the ground and impacts the ground, I put in all the variables and solved for g and recorded the percent error of that solved variable (g) from 9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

Try to use the range equation. I can't remember if my professor said I had to use this. If not, then I can varify g using the max height when the Vfy is 0. Just wondering if it is possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if the range equation is only for when the projectile does not hit an object.I used the max height equation to verify g and compared it to 9.81. My error was 1.9% which was pretty good. But, I am still confused as to how I can use the range equation to solve for g. Is it even possible?

Related to Can I use the range formula for this

What is the range formula and how is it used?

The range formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the difference between the largest and smallest values in a set of data. It is often used in statistics to measure the variability or spread of a data set.

Can I use the range formula for any type of data?

Yes, the range formula can be used for any type of data, as long as the data is numerical. It is commonly used for data such as test scores, heights, and temperatures.

Is there a specific formula for finding the range of a data set?

Yes, the formula for finding the range is simply: Range = Maximum Value - Minimum Value. It is important to note that the range does not take into account the distribution of the data, so it may not be the best measure of variability in all cases.

Can I use the range formula for data sets with outliers?

Yes, the range formula can still be used for data sets with outliers. However, it is important to consider the impact of outliers on the range, as they can greatly affect the overall spread of the data. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to use a different measure of variability.

Are there any limitations to using the range formula?

While the range formula is a simple and useful measure of variability, it does have some limitations. It only considers the two extreme values in a data set and does not take into account the values in between, which can lead to a misleading representation of the data. Additionally, it can be greatly affected by outliers and is not a robust measure of variability. Therefore, it is important to consider the strengths and limitations of the range formula when using it to analyze data.