Can I use one switch for two power sources on my robot?

In summary, there are two sources of power for the robot - a 9-volt battery connected to the BS2 and a power source for the motors using four C batteries. The plan is to use a three-pronged switch to turn the entire robot on and off, with the switch being placed in the negative wire of the 9-volt battery. It is not clear if a switch is needed for the second power source, but a dual-pole single-throw (DPST) switch could be used to control both sources of power with one switch.
Megasundato
Hello, on my robot I essentially have two sources of power.

#1. The first is my 9-volt battery to the BS2. (+ pin 24, - pin 23)

#2. my second is a power source for the motors. it uses four C batteries not directly connected to the stamp but with it's own system of circuitry. check thumbnail below.

http://www.reconnsworld.com/motorcontrol.gif

Now I plan to use a fairly simple three-pronged switch to turn the entire robot on and off. I believe that I will need to put the switch into the negative wire of the #1 power source ( cathode of 9-volt battery to pin 23). However, what about the second power source? Is there any way that I can tie both into the same switch?

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if I need a switch for the second source. Perhaps all the transistors will take care of it.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking that last paragraph is correct and that a second switch or a tie-in won't be necessary.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use a dual-pole single-throw (DPST) switch to control power for both things using one switch.

ok thanks

Related to Can I use one switch for two power sources on my robot?

1. What is a switch for two sources?

A switch for two sources is a device that allows you to connect two separate sources of power or data to a single output. This allows you to easily switch between the two sources without the need for manually unplugging and plugging in cables.

2. How does a switch for two sources work?

A switch for two sources typically has two inputs and one output. When one source is selected, the switch will redirect the signal from that source to the output. When the other source is selected, the switch will redirect the signal from that source to the output instead.

3. What are the benefits of using a switch for two sources?

A switch for two sources can save you time and effort by eliminating the need for constantly plugging and unplugging cables. It also allows for a neater and more organized setup, as you can switch between sources without having to physically move or rearrange cables.

4. What are some common uses for a switch for two sources?

A switch for two sources is commonly used in audio and video setups, such as connecting two different audio sources to a single speaker or switching between two video sources on a single display. It can also be used in data networks to switch between two sources of data.

5. Are there different types of switches for two sources?

Yes, there are different types of switches for two sources depending on the specific use case. Some switches may have manual buttons or switches to select between sources, while others may have remote controls or automatic sensing capabilities. There are also switches with multiple outputs, allowing you to connect more than one output device to two sources.