Can I use a ordinary 1K ohm potentiometer to convert 12V to 5V?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 1K ohm potentiometer for converting 12V to 5V to power an Arduino microcontroller. The datasheet for the potentiometer states that its maximum applicable voltage is 22.5V, but the maximum power given is only 0.5W, which does not align with the input voltage of 12V and 0.6A, which would result in 7.6W of power. This raises the question of whether the potentiometer is suitable for the conversion. It is recommended to use a voltage regulator, specifically the 7805, for a stable and reliable conversion. The LM2931 regulator is also suggested, as it
marellasunny
I have a 1K ohm potentiometer.(datasheet is attached below). My aim is to convert 12V to 5V,which I would then apply to power the Arduino microcontroller. I'm not quite sure if I CAN use the potentiometer I have ie T93 YA 1K 1035 to do this conversion.
The datasheet says that the maximum voltage applicable for 1K ohm is 22.5V. But,the MAX.power given is 0.5W. This doesn't make concurrence since my input voltage is at 12V and 0.6 A,which means the power applied would be 7.6W.So,does that imply this potentiometer could not be used for the purpose of 12V to 5V conversion?

How do I go about calculation?
I'm new to electronics stuff.

Attachments

• T93YA.pdf
    138.9 KB · Views: 505
Engineering news on Phys.org
Since the Arduino consumes a varying current but requires a fixed voltage you should use a voltage regulator. The 5 volt regulator part number you should look for is 7805, they are a commodity available everywhere. That will solve your problem better than any potentiometer you might use. If you use a potentiometer, at some time you will certainly exceed the specified maximum input voltage to the Arduino which will almost certainly destroy it.

Baluncore is exactly right, you need something automatic. 12 volts - is this for use in an automobile?

If so you might consider LM2931 regulator. It comes in 3 terminal like 7805 but is intended for automotive application so includes two nice features:
1. It's reverse polarity protected to protect your arduino against reversed battery leads when somebody makes a mistake giving you a jump-start
2. It has overvoltage protection to around 60 volts which protects against alternator surge caused by loose battery cables.

http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/Faculty/rodwell/Classes/ece218b/lab_projects/LM2931.pdf

Using a pot, or a resistor to drop voltage for a uP will never never never work reliably. Don't even think about it.

I would recommend against using an ordinary 1K ohm potentiometer for this purpose. The datasheet clearly states that the maximum voltage applicable for this potentiometer is 22.5V, which is much lower than the 12V input you are planning to use. Additionally, the maximum power given is only 0.5W, which is significantly lower than the 7.6W power that would be applied in your scenario. This suggests that the potentiometer is not suitable for this type of conversion.

To calculate the appropriate components for a 12V to 5V conversion, you would need to consider several factors such as the desired output current, the efficiency of the conversion, and the voltage drop across the components. It would be best to consult a professional or do thorough research to determine the appropriate components for your specific application. Alternatively, you could use a ready-made voltage regulator designed for this purpose, which would ensure a more reliable and safe conversion.

Related to Can I use a ordinary 1K ohm potentiometer to convert 12V to 5V?

1. Can a 1K ohm potentiometer be used to convert 12V to 5V?

Yes, a 1K ohm potentiometer can be used to convert 12V to 5V. However, it is important to note that the potentiometer alone may not be sufficient for this conversion and additional components may be needed.

2. How does a potentiometer convert voltage?

A potentiometer works by having a resistive element that can be adjusted to vary the voltage output. By changing the resistance, the voltage output can also be changed.

3. What factors should be considered when using a potentiometer for voltage conversion?

The main factors to consider are the potentiometer's resistance range and power rating, as well as the input and output voltage requirements. It is also important to ensure that the potentiometer is able to handle the current and any additional components needed for the conversion.

4. Can a potentiometer be used for precise voltage conversion?

Potentiometers are not typically recommended for precise voltage conversion as they are not as accurate as other specialized components such as voltage regulators. Small changes in resistance can lead to significant variations in output voltage.

5. Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer for voltage conversion?

Yes, there are limitations to using a potentiometer for voltage conversion. It may not be suitable for high current applications and may not be able to provide a stable output voltage over time. In addition, it may not be as reliable or durable as other specialized components designed for voltage conversion.