Can i still be an astrophysicist

• Physics
  • Thread starter abbeynewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysicist
In summary,If you want to become an astrophysicist, you will need to have completed some physics courses. However, you may be able to catch up in graduate school.
abbeynewton
Hello,
I am in my final year, studying geophysics, but i have always loved astronomy and physics. Because of some circumstances(which is a very long story), i could not study astrophysics. Can i do masters in astrophysics even with my B.Sc in Geophysics, and if not what can i do to study it. My school does not offer any program on any space related subject, as a matter of fact no school in my country offers it(I am from Nigeria). So i don't have any basic or formal education on astronomy. So what can i do?

Physics news on Phys.org
While you may have to play catchup with a few courses, I don't think that switch would be impossible. What physics courses have you taken? You should have covered the basics, anyway.

The best way to figure out how doable it is is to contact a potential graduate program and ask. It can't hurt.

hello G01,
just to be on the safe side can you please list the physics courses that i should study to be an astrophysicist excluding maths methods and areas i should pay more attention, and a good university in US(and or UK) that is acknowledged with this field

Hi abbey,

I'm not an astrophysicist or a geophysicist, just a plain old boring physicist! So, I haven't been through an astrophysicist curriculum so I can only tell you what the important physics courses are. I have no insight into astronomy specific courses. The best bet is to check an astronomy departments web page as see what the undergrads need to take.

For instance:

http://www.villanova.edu/artsci/astronomy/undergrad/major.htm

My best guess is that you will have most of the physics requirements filled, but will be missing the astronomy specific courses. However, you can probably play catchup in grad school with the astronomy courses, as you'll still have all the fundamentals.

thanks GO1. the site was helpful

if i want to apply for an undergraduate program in astrophysics, how many years will it take to complete it in US

There were many people with 'just' physics degrees on the MSc Astronomy course I took at Sussex University in the UK. That was some years ago, but they are still saying "no previous astronomy needed". Prep. ideas here:

http://astronomy.sussex.ac.uk/~loveday/astroPrep.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mal4mac, the link was very helpful...may consider studying at sussex university.

Related to Can i still be an astrophysicist

1. Can I still become an astrophysicist if I didn't study physics in college?

Yes, it is possible to become an astrophysicist even if you did not study physics in college. While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not a requirement. Many successful astrophysicists come from diverse academic backgrounds such as mathematics, engineering, or computer science.

2. Do I need a PhD to be an astrophysicist?

While a PhD is typically required for research and academic positions in astrophysics, there are still opportunities for those with a bachelor's or master's degree. Many government agencies and private companies hire astrophysicists with less advanced degrees for roles such as data analysis or science communication.

3. Is it too late to become an astrophysicist?

No, it is never too late to pursue a career in astrophysics. While it may take longer to switch careers, many people have successfully become astrophysicists later in life. It is important to have a strong passion and dedication to the field, as well as the willingness to continue learning and gaining experience.

4. Can I become an astrophysicist if I am not good at math?

Math is a crucial component of astrophysics, so having a strong foundation in mathematics is important. However, it is possible to improve your math skills through practice and seeking help from tutors or professors. Additionally, there are many areas of astrophysics that do not require advanced math skills, such as observational astronomy or science communication.

5. What skills do I need to become an astrophysicist?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, astrophysicists also need skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis. Excellent communication skills are also important for presenting research and collaborating with others. Additionally, having a passion for learning and curiosity about the universe are essential qualities for an astrophysicist.