Can I pursue MS electrical, electronics & computer engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a graduate degree in electrical engineering after currently studying for a bachelor's degree in meteorology and climate science. Although the two fields may not seem directly related, it is still possible to make the transition with some additional requirements and courses. The individual is advised to research potential schools and reach out to professors to explore their options and determine the necessary steps to make the transition. They may also need to take some remedial classes in areas such as programming or digital design.
yoeyi
i am currently studyin fo r my barchelor's degree in meteorology and climate science ...but i really want to pursue electrical engineering for my grad schools...is that possible?...if not what wld be my best option for any ms study with the degree am currently pursuing ..considering job availability and salary

Physics news on Phys.org
Meteorology to electrical engineering is not an obvious move. You probably have the calculus. But there is a lot in an engineering degree beyond that. And a graduate level degree in the subjects you mention probably has a lot of requirements that your degree has not prepared you for.

Still... When I was in my PhD in particle physics, one of the other PhD candidates had done his undergrad in linguistics. And one of my profs had no undergrad degree at all, went straight into grad work.

Google up some potential schools. Find their admissions requirements. Find their web sites and some contact names. Explore whether they think it is possible. Try to contact at least a couple profs and see if they think it is possible. Check out their course catalog and requirements for the degree you want.

Most schools will not accept you unless they think you have at least a reasonable chance of finishing the degree. Their reputation depends, partly, on their grads going out into the world and performing well. So talk to them and see what they think.

Maybe there are a few things you can catch up on by taking some remedial classes. Possibly you would have to take a class or two in things like programming or digital design or some such.

thanks very much man!

but i alreADY hav a course in programming with fortan and c++ in my undergrad...also i did offer some electronics courses

Related to Can I pursue MS electrical, electronics & computer engineering?

1. What is the difference between MS in electrical engineering and MS in electronics & computer engineering?

The main difference between these two degrees is the focus of study. MS in electrical engineering typically covers a broad range of topics in electrical systems and devices, while MS in electronics & computer engineering is more specialized in the design and development of computer hardware and software. However, there is often overlap between the two fields and it ultimately depends on the specific program and courses offered.

2. What are the job opportunities after pursuing MS in electrical, electronics & computer engineering?

Graduates with this degree have a variety of job opportunities available to them. Some common careers include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, computer engineer, hardware or software engineer, systems analyst, and network administrator. There are also opportunities in fields such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and robotics.

3. Can I pursue this degree even if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer MS programs in electrical, electronics & computer engineering for students with diverse undergraduate backgrounds. However, you may be required to take prerequisite courses to catch up on any necessary knowledge. It's important to research the specific program you are interested in and their admissions requirements.

4. What skills are necessary for success in this field?

In addition to strong technical skills in math, physics, and computer programming, successful students in this field also possess good problem-solving abilities, analytical thinking, attention to detail, and excellent communication skills. They should also be able to work well in a team and continuously learn and adapt to new technologies.

5. How long does it take to complete an MS in electrical, electronics & computer engineering?

The duration of the program can vary depending on the university and whether you are studying full-time or part-time. Generally, it takes 1-2 years to complete the degree. Some universities also offer accelerated programs for students who want to complete the program in a shorter amount of time.