Can I Increase My Motor's RPM from 53 to 300 for a Brewing Grain Mill?

• Thread starter calisto737
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Increasing
In summary: I think you could get away with a 1/4 hp motor and a sheave that's about 1.5" in diameter. That'll give you a RPM of about 300. If you go any smaller, the motor will stall. You might also want to consider a belt tensioner to adjust the tension of the belt. That'll run you another $20 or so. In summary, you can change the RPM of the mill by changing the sheave (pulley) size. Note however that power required for the mill is a function of a number of things and one of them is RPM. A second factor is feed rate. Your motor will only have sufficient power to provide some RPM and some feed rate. If you exceed one of
calisto737
Hello everyone! I just want to start out by saying that i really don't know very much about physics. That is why I am coming to you for help. I am making a motorized grain mill for brewing beer. Most people start buy using a 1hp electric motor and a large pulley attached to the mill to reduce the speed. This is a project that i started a few week ago an I have come the a halt. My question is can i increase the rpm of a motor (which i already own) from 53rpm to 300rpm.

Here is an example of what I am trying to make:

Thank you for any help you provide

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi calisto737, welcome to the board. In general, yes you can change the RPM of the mill by changing the sheave (pulley) size. Note however that power required for the mill is a function of a number of things and one of them is RPM. A second factor is feed rate. Your motor will only have sufficient power to provide some RPM and some feed rate. If you exceed one of those two parameters, the motor will stall and you'll trip a motor breaker assuming you have one. Otherwise, it'll just catch fire. <just kidding. I'm sure you have a breaker somewhere>

Mills generally have a mechanism to adjust feed rate, or at least the industrial ones I've worked on do. From watching your video, I see there's a slot in the bottom of the hopper but it isn't clear to me whether or not that slot width can be adjusted to control feed rate.

A secondary problem is that the machine you have on YouTube has no way to adjust the belt tension. No big deal I suppose, but it would be better to have belt tension adjustment. You'll need to do something if you change a sheave size to increase RPM.

So what are you looking for? Are you looking for a method to determine sheave size? Or just general information around grinding mills?

ok...i guess ill give you some more info. the you tube video was not mine, i just wanted to give people an idea of want i am building. most people start with a motor that has a rpm in the thousands and they slow it down with a large sheave attache to the mill shaft. i want to do the opposite. i need to figure out what size sheaves to but to do this (if its even possible). also I am going to follow the mill manufacture recommendation for the feed slot. i plan on mounting the motor on a set of rails to ajust the tension (haven't got that far yet)

here is the motor:

http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=4

the mill:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-3.html

this is the hopper and base i built:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z425/bhartbeck/IMG_20111222_230800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor you have is only 0.03 hp. I see other people are using a 1/2" drill to drive the mill but the manufacturer doesn't state what power is required. Knowing other folks are using a 1/2" drill and they're using it to directly drive the mill at lower RPM, I'd guess the power is on the order of 1/4 to 1/2 hp so the motor you have is woefully underpowered.

Electric motors are not that expensive, though they will be a bit more expensive than a $100 drill so your least expensive option might be to purchase a 1/2" drill and drive it directly. They produce about 1 hp at 1200 RPM. If you want to go with an electric motor, note that a 1/4 hp motor is only a little bit less expensive than a 1/2 hp motor so I'd suggest going with 1/2 hp. Take a look online at McMaster Carr or http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/capacitor-start-motors/general-purpose-motors/motors/ecatalog/N-9xrZ1z0o4sx?contextPath=Grainger for motors. They'll be about $200. These companies also sell sheaves and belts but you can probably get those at your local hardware store. Another option might be to pull a used motor out of an old appliance such as a garage door opener or washing machine. You might try Craigslist.

Regarding size of the sheaves, the speed of the mill can be determined as follows:
Grpm = Mrpm (Md / Gd)
Where:
Grpm = RPM of Grinder (mill)
Gd = Diameter of Grinder (mill) sheave
Mrpm = RPM of motor
Md = Diameter of Motor sheave

Wow! Great price. Yea, that'll work. RPM's are high but that just means there will be a big difference in the size of your sheaves.

Related to Can I Increase My Motor's RPM from 53 to 300 for a Brewing Grain Mill?

What are rpms and why are they important?

RPMS stands for revolutions per minute, which is a unit of measurement for rotational speed. It is commonly used for engines and other rotating machinery. RPMS are important because they indicate how fast an object is rotating, which can affect its performance and efficiency.

How can I increase the rpms of an engine?

There are several ways to increase the rpms of an engine. One way is to adjust the fuel-to-air ratio to provide more fuel to the engine, which can increase its power output. Another way is to reduce the weight of the engine by removing unnecessary components, which can allow it to spin faster. It is also important to regularly maintain the engine to ensure it is functioning properly and to prevent any issues that could affect its rpms.

What are some common causes of low rpms?

Low rpms can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a clogged air filter, faulty spark plugs, or a malfunctioning fuel pump. These issues can restrict the flow of air and fuel to the engine, resulting in lower rpms. Other possible causes include worn-out belts, low transmission fluid, or a damaged fuel injector.

How do I know if my rpms are too high?

If your rpms are too high, you may notice a high-pitched sound coming from your engine, a jerking or surging sensation while driving, or a burning smell. You may also see your fuel efficiency decrease and your engine temperature rise. It is important to address high rpms as it can put unnecessary strain on your engine and potentially cause damage.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when trying to increase rpms?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when attempting to increase rpms. Make sure the engine is turned off and cool before making any adjustments. Wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and eye protection. It is also recommended to have a professional mechanic inspect and make any necessary adjustments to ensure the engine is running safely and efficiently.