Can I Find the Moment of Inertia with Only 8 Equal Parts in My Homework Problem?

In summary, if you double the length of a triangle, the mass also doubles, and the moment of inertia quadruples.
LoveBoy

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/7ZRsVj5.png

Homework Equations

I can't apply correct method !

The Attempt at a Solution

In bigger figure, i cut into 8 equal parts.So , total moment of inertia=8 I
But it's wrong !
I know it's wrong because i can't able to find angle between any two sides when i cut into 8 equal parts.
So,just as a guessing approach , i supposed each part is equal to I . Therefore,corresponding to total 8 I.

Physics news on Phys.org
LoveBoy said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/7ZRsVj5.png

Homework Equations

I can't apply correct method !

The Attempt at a Solution

In bigger figure, i cut into 8 equal parts.So , total moment of inertia=8 I
But it's wrong !
I know it's wrong because i can't able to find angle between any two sides when i cut into 8 equal parts.
So,just as a guessing approach , i supposed each part is equal to I . Therefore,corresponding to total 8 I.
You don't have to cut anything, but you should think how the inertia of the sample triangle changes when the dimensions 'a' are multiplied by the same scale factor.

You cut the square into eight parts because the area of [a triangular half of] the square is eight times the area of the triangle? How did you manage this feat? Where do you make the cuts to get eight 1x1 triangular half-squares out of a triangular half square that is ##2\sqrt{2}## on a side?

Consider, as SteamKing hints, cutting the square into four pieces, each of which is an isoceles right triangle and each of which has a side other than the hypotenuse on the axis of rotation.

As per your given hint, if i double the sides of isosceles triangle , then i would get hypotenuse equals the side of square .
But I'm confused in the thing that if we double the sides , is moment of inertia becomes 4 times ?

LoveBoy said:
But I'm confused in the thing that if we double the sides , is moment of inertia becomes 4 times ?
The moment of inertia typically looks like kML2, right?
For uniform density distributions, similar geometries turn out to have the same coefficient k.

Start with a triangle of side length a and mass m with moment of inertia I1 = km1a2.
Now scale it up to side length 2a; the moment of inertia becomes I2 = km2(2a)2.

If m2 = m1 then I2 = 4I1. Is the "if" part true though?

Nathanael said:
If m2 = m1 then I2 = 4I1. Is the "if" part true though?
I don't think so because if we double the length, mass also differs.

LoveBoy said:
I don't think so because if we double the length, mass also differs.
Right, because the problem statement said that the triangles are of the same density and thickness. More area with the same density means more mass. What is the exact relationship though? If you double the legs what happens to the mass?
(Then, what is the total effect on the moment of inertia?)

Likes LoveBoy
Nathanael said:
If you double the legs what happens to the mass?
(Then, what is the total effect on the moment of inertia?)
If we double the legs keeping density and thickness same,then mass becomes 4 times.
And if mass becomes 4 times ,then leg becomes 2 times, then moment of inertia becomes 16 times.
So, total moment of inertia=4*16 I = 64I

Therefore, 64 I is our answer !

Likes Nathanael

Related to Can I Find the Moment of Inertia with Only 8 Equal Parts in My Homework Problem?

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion and depends on the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. For more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or using specialized equations for common shapes.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps determine how much torque or force is needed to rotate an object. It also plays a critical role in the conservation of angular momentum, which is a fundamental principle in physics.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's motion?

The moment of inertia affects an object's motion by determining how quickly it can rotate in response to a given torque or force. Objects with larger moments of inertia will rotate more slowly than objects with smaller moments of inertia when subjected to the same torque or force.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia can be affected by a variety of factors, including the mass and distribution of mass in an object, the shape and orientation of the object, and the axis of rotation. The moment of inertia can also change if the object's mass or shape is altered, or if the axis of rotation is shifted.