Can I find experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131?

In summary: Someone has measured the lifetime, and there was probably more than one measurement. Just look for references to those papers to find experimental data.
cj9
I'm currently undergoing an assignment in maths were it is is necessary to apply mathematical concepts to aspects in reality. Hence, I have chosen to model the radioactive decay of iodine 131, however I am required to plot the data of the radioactive decay of iodine 131, in order to find the equation rather than using the half-life. Is it possible to find experimental data for its decay.

I intend to find the equation of the function by graphing the data in order to get a negative exponential function.

If it helps my assignment is relevant to radioactive materials (iodine 131) leaked in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.

Anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "find the equation"?
cj9 said:
Is it possible to find experimental data for its decay.
I doubt anyone collected a large sample of I-131 and then watched it decaying for months. That would be quite pointless.

There are publications measuring the half-life, did you search those?

Likes cj9 and stoomart
mfb said:
What do you mean by "find the equation"?
I doubt anyone collected a large sample of I-131 and then watched it decaying for months. That would be quite pointless.

There are publications measuring the half-life, did you search those?

Thanks for your response.

I intend to find the equation of the function by graphing the data in order to get a negative exponential function. Do you recommend any publications?

If it helps my assignment is relevant to radioactive materials (iodine 131) leaked in the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster.
Thanks

Last edited:
https://ehs.missouri.edu/rad/isotopedata/i-131decaytable.pdf

Zz.

Likes cj9
ZapperZ said:
https://ehs.missouri.edu/rad/isotopedata/i-131decaytable.pdf

Zz.

Much appreciated

What is that website in case I need data for other radioactive material.

cj9 said:
Much appreciated

What is that website in case I need data for other radioactive material.

Er... I found it using Google!

Zz.

Here is a directory of similar data sheets from the same website.

https://ehs.missouri.edu/rad/isotopedata.html

Likes cj9
Those tables look like computed values, not measurements.

Likes cj9
mfb said:
Those tables look like computed values, not measurements.
Is it difficult to find measurements?

Someone has measured the lifetime, and there was probably more than one measurement. Just look for references to those papers to find experimental data.

Related to Can I find experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131?

1. How can I access experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131?

Experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131 can be accessed through various sources such as scientific journals, databases, and government websites. Some examples include the National Nuclear Data Center, the International Atomic Energy Agency, and the Journal of Nuclear Medicine.

2. Is there a specific format for the experimental data on Iodine-131 decay?

Yes, there are standard formats for reporting experimental data on radioactive decay, such as the Evaluated Nuclear Structure Data File (ENSDF) format. This format includes information on the decay modes, half-life, branching ratios, and other pertinent data for Iodine-131.

3. Are there any limitations to the experimental data for Iodine-131 decay?

Some limitations to the experimental data for Iodine-131 decay may include variations in measurement techniques, sample purity, and environmental factors. It is important to carefully evaluate the data and consider any potential sources of error.

4. Can I find experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131 for different isotopes?

Yes, experimental data for the decay of Iodine-131 can be found for different isotopes. However, the data may vary depending on the specific isotope and its decay characteristics. It is important to carefully select the appropriate data for your research purposes.

5. Are there any open access databases for experimental data on Iodine-131 decay?

Yes, there are open access databases available for experimental data on Iodine-131 decay. Some examples include the National Nuclear Data Center's Nuclear Science References (NSR) database and the International Atomic Energy Agency's International Nuclear Information System (INIS). These databases provide free access to a wide range of scientific literature and data on nuclear physics and radiation-related topics.