Can I Calculate the Fourier Transform of an Image by Hand?

In summary, an image analysis program produces a Fourier transform of an image by breaking it up into sinusoids and mapping it to 2d axes. The operation transforms all of the information in the picture into a different way of displaying the same information.
u0362565
Hi all,

I have a somewhat qualitative understanding of image Fourier transforms and what they represent which for the most part is sufficient for me. However i am interested to know how when i use an image analysis program to produce the Fourier transform of a real image, what is actually going on? Would it be possible by hand to calculate the Fourier transform of an image and if i wanted to do this what would be the process? Ultimately all you have in the real image is pixels which represent changes in intensity over 2 dimensional space? What values from the real image are used in the Fourier transform equation?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how Fourier series work mathematically? What the image program does is essentially to make a Fourier expansion of the intensity functions for each channel (RGB). The result is that the middle pixel of the Fourier transform represents the overall average intensity of the image and the other pixels how the colors vary over the image. A high intensity of one color near the center means that color displays large variations on large scales of the image and the further you get from the center the smaller the scale becomes. All of the values from the real image are used in creating the transform and no information is lost.

Technically you could compute the Fourier transform by hand, but it would be extremely tedious and you would likely end up making errors just because of moving a lot of numbers around. A computer is much more suited to do this.

Thankfully Joseph didn't mind a little tedium ;) The degree of tedium though does depend upon just how much information you wish to encode and study. By the late 1960s hand-held, real time instruments were available that would handle FFTs. I owned a few that cost considerably less than $200 USD at the time. It would be 20 years before real microprocessing with even 1MB Ram would exist.

Hi guys,

What i know is that to produce the Fourier transform you're essentially breaking the image up into its component sinusoids (variations in intensity in space). These are then mapped to 2d axes. Where as you say the origin represents the zero frequency and increasing spatial frequencies are further from the origin. An intuitive understanding of what's going on is not so difficult to comprehend but when i see the Fourier formula and say i have an image, I wouldn't know what values from the image are actually being plugged into the formula. Is it an operation that works on each pixel in turn? But a pixel only tells you two things, its position and its intensity, where is this utilised in the formula?

Thanks

Essentially all of the pixels are used for all of the Fourier modes (although some may be multiplied by zero depending on the sinusoid). The operation transforms all of the information in the picture into a different way of displaying the same information.

Ok thanks, i think that's all i need to know.

Related to Can I Calculate the Fourier Transform of an Image by Hand?

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It converts a time-domain signal into a frequency-domain representation, allowing for analysis and manipulation of the different frequency components.

How is a Fourier transform related to images?

An image Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts an image from its spatial domain representation to its frequency domain representation. This allows for analysis and manipulation of the different frequency components of an image, such as blurring or sharpening.

What is the purpose of using a Fourier transform on an image?

The purpose of using a Fourier transform on an image is to better understand and manipulate its frequency components. This can be useful in tasks such as image restoration, compression, and filtering.

Are there different types of image Fourier transforms?

Yes, there are different types of image Fourier transforms, such as the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) and the fast Fourier transform (FFT). These variations differ in their mathematical algorithms and computational efficiency but ultimately serve the same purpose of converting an image into its frequency domain representation.

What are some applications of image Fourier transforms in science?

Image Fourier transforms have a wide range of applications in science, including image processing, analysis of astronomical images, medical imaging, and pattern recognition. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science for various image-related tasks.