Can I Calculate Salt Concentration in a 1500kg/m^3 Solution Using Density?

In summary, the concentration of salt can be calculated by subtracting the density of water which is 1000kg/m^3.Since the volume of salt is negligible, the volume of the solution equals the volume of water.
Supernova123
If 50kg of salt is mixed with 100 kg of water to form a 1500kg/m^3 solution, can I find the concentration of salt by subtracting the density of water which is 1000kg/m^3, or do I have to equate it like this: 50/((50+100)/1500)=500kg/m^3 ? Is the volume of salt negligible so that the volume of solution equals the volume of water?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Supernova123 said:
If 50kg of salt is mixed with 100 kg of water to form a 1500kg/m^3 solution, can I find the concentration of salt by subtracting the density of water which is 1000kg/m^3, or do I have to equate it like this: 50/((50+100)/1500)=500kg/m^3 ? Is the volume of salt negligible so that the volume of solution equals the volume of water?
The concentration of a solution can be defined in several different ways. Here are some of them:

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/gchelp/howtosolveit/Solutions/concentrations.html

The density of most salts is often greater than that of water. For common table salt, NaCl, its density is 2.17 g/cc (water = 1.0 g/cc)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride

Your example solution has a final density of 1500 kg/m3. Since you know that 50 kg of salt is mixed with 100 kg of water, you should be able to figure out the volume of solution created, since the total mass of solution must equal the total mass of the stuff being mixed together.

For more information about solutions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution

Supernova123 said:
If 50kg of salt is mixed with 100 kg of water to form a 1500kg/m^3 solution

How do you know that's the density of the solution produced?

Borek said:
How do you know that's the density of the solution produced?
You don't, but that's what the OP said.

SteamKing said:
You don't, but that's what the OP said.

I wonder if OP doesn't think density is in some strange way additive.

The solution process is magical, partial molal volumes of solutes are all zero.

Related to Can I Calculate Salt Concentration in a 1500kg/m^3 Solution Using Density?

What is density?

Density is a physical property that measures the amount of mass per unit volume of a substance. It is commonly expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³).

What factors affect density?

The density of a substance is affected by its mass and volume. As the mass of a substance increases, its density also increases. Conversely, as the volume of a substance increases, its density decreases. Temperature and pressure can also affect the density of a substance.

How is density different from concentration?

Density and concentration are related but different concepts. Density measures the mass per unit volume of a substance, while concentration measures the amount of a solute dissolved in a given amount of solvent. Concentration can be expressed in various units, such as molarity, molality, and percent concentration.

What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for density is density = mass / volume. It can also be written as D = m / V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. The units for density will depend on the units used for mass and volume.

How is density and concentration used in scientific research?

Density and concentration are important concepts in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and biology. They are often used to characterize and compare different substances, determine the purity of a substance, and calculate the amount of a solute present in a solution. In research, density and concentration can also be used to track changes in a system and make predictions about future behavior.