Can Electrons Avoid Proton Attraction at Long Distances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electrical force between a proton and electron, which is known to spread to infinity but becomes weaker with separation. However, in practice, the force may become undetectable at certain separation values due to the surrounding structure and geometry. The conversation also mentions the possibility of an electron not being affected by a positive charge when placed at a far distance.
MetinErsin
Firstly sorry for my english .
I don't know how i should search this question this is why i am asking here.
while i am thinking about charges,i think
consider a positive charge. And put an electron very far from it. Is there any posiblity for electron don't affect from positive charge

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as we know the electrical force of attraction between the proton and electron spreads to infinity but gets weaker with separation. In practise, however, the separation can reach values where the force becomes so weak that we may be unable to detect it. Also, the actual force on the electron and proton depends on structure and geometry of the rest of the
surroundings.

Related to Can Electrons Avoid Proton Attraction at Long Distances?

1. How do electrons avoid proton attraction at long distances?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that are attracted to positively charged protons. However, at long distances, the attractive force between the two particles decreases significantly due to the inverse square law. This means that the force between two particles decreases as the distance between them increases.

2. Why do electrons not fall into the nucleus of an atom?

This is due to the presence of energy levels in an atom. Electrons occupy specific energy levels around the nucleus, and they have a certain amount of energy that keeps them in their respective levels. They can move between energy levels, but they cannot fall into the nucleus unless they lose all their energy.

3. Can electrons completely avoid proton attraction at any distance?

No, electrons cannot completely avoid proton attraction. The attraction between the two particles will always exist to some extent, but it becomes weaker as the distance between them increases.

4. Are there any other forces that affect electron movement besides proton attraction?

Yes, electrons can also be influenced by other forces such as magnetic and electric fields. These forces can alter the path of electrons and affect their movement.

5. What happens to electrons when they are exposed to extreme distances from protons, such as in outer space?

In space, electrons are still attracted to protons, but the distance between them is so vast that the force of attraction is very weak. Additionally, other factors such as the presence of other particles and radiation can also affect the movement of electrons in outer space.