Can Earth be considered an inertial reference frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inertial reference frames and whether or not the Earth can be considered one. It is mentioned that the Earth's orbit around the sun causes it to have a changing velocity, making it noninertial according to classical mechanics but inertial according to relativity. It is also noted that in the presence of gravity, there are no global inertial frames, only local ones. The conversation also touches on the Michelson-Morley experiment and how it relates to the concept of inertial frames.
cooper607
hi guys, i have a basic question on special relativity.. if the inertial reference frame denotes the frames that holds up the Newtonian 1st law, then can Earth be an inertial frame?
i mean it changes direction of velocity as it moves in the orbit around sun, so its not in constant velocity ??
please clear my concept..
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can imagine an inertial reference frame on Earth with Earth's velocity being tangent to it's curved path.
but this frame would only be applicable at one point in spacetime.

Don't take my word for it though, I've only just recently started looking into physics :).

If you fix your reference frame to Earth then strictly it isn't an inertial one but you can take it to be an approximate one.

cooper607 said:
hi guys, i have a basic question on special relativity.. if the inertial reference frame denotes the frames that holds up the Newtonian 1st law, then can Earth be an inertial frame?
i mean it changes direction of velocity as it moves in the orbit around sun, so its not in constant velocity ??
thanks
And for those of us riding on the surface of the Earth not near one of its poles, our direction and magnitude of velocity go through a cycle of change daily. In fact it was this characteristic that Michelson and Morley were hoping to capitalize on to measure a daily fluctuation in the ether wind, but since they couldn't, they concluded that the Earth must be dragging the ether along with it. Of course, other explanations prevailed.

cooper607 said:

Newtonian mechanics and GR have different definitions of an inertial frame. This frame is noninertial according to the Newtonian definition, but inertial according to the relativistic one.

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch01/ch01.html#Section1.5

You asked about the frame of the orbiting earth, i.e., a frame tied to the Earth's center of mass. A frame tied to Los Angeles is noninertial according to both definitions, because of the Earth's rotation about its own axis.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks to all of you...

cooper607 said:
thanks
In relativity in the presence of gravity there are no global inertial frames, only local ones. In other words, you can make a reference frame where Newton's laws hold to within any arbitrary experimental precision by making your frame sufficiently small in both space and time that tidal effects cannot be measured.

One other thing to note is that local inertial frames in relativity are in free-fall. A frame at rest on the surface of the Earth is accelerating upwards.

cooper607 said:
thanks
As others already mentioned, the Earth can only be approximately an inertial frame for certain "local" experiments. That is also the case in classical (Newtonian) mechanics, so it's nothing "new".

Very clearly, concerning special relativity:
"this theory asserts only the equivalence of all Galilean (unaccelerated) coordinate systems".
- https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Dialog_about_Objections_against_the_Theory_of_Relativity

See also:
- SR uses the reference systems of Newtonian mechanics. http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
- Definition of inertial frames for classical mechanics and SR in: Fundamental University Physics (Mechanics), Alonso&Finn
(question: which textbooks do you use?)

Last edited:
ghwellsjr said:
And for those of us riding on the surface of the Earth not near one of its poles, our direction and magnitude of velocity go through a cycle of change daily. In fact it was this characteristic that Michelson and Morley were hoping to capitalize on to measure a daily fluctuation in the ether wind, but since they couldn't, they concluded that the Earth must be dragging the ether along with it. Of course, other explanations prevailed.
To be precise, they were hoping to at least capitalize on the seasonal velocity differences of the Earth (from orbital motion) - which is exactly what the OP mentioned. See:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Relative_Motion_of_the_Earth_and_the_Luminiferous_Ether
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_the_Relative_Motion_of_the_Earth_and_the_Luminiferous_Ether

Note that I agree with your description of inertial reference frames in the other thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4228938&postcount=62

Last edited:

Related to Can Earth be considered an inertial reference frame?

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion are valid. This means that an object in this frame will remain at rest or move with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is an inertial reference frame different from a non-inertial reference frame?

In an inertial reference frame, Newton's laws of motion are valid, while in a non-inertial reference frame, these laws do not hold true. A non-inertial reference frame is one that is accelerating or rotating with respect to an inertial frame.

3. Why is it important to use an inertial reference frame in scientific experiments?

Using an inertial reference frame ensures that the results of an experiment are not affected by any external forces or accelerations. This allows for accurate and reliable data to be collected and analyzed.

4. Can an object be in both an inertial and non-inertial reference frame at the same time?

No, an object can only be in one reference frame at a time. However, an object can appear to be in different reference frames depending on the observer's perspective. For example, a person standing on a moving train will see objects inside the train as stationary, while an observer outside the train will see those same objects as moving with the train.

5. How do you determine if a reference frame is inertial or non-inertial?

A reference frame is considered inertial if an object in that frame maintains a constant velocity or remains at rest unless acted upon by an external force. If an object in the frame appears to accelerate or experience a force without any external influence, then the frame is non-inertial.