Can Degassing Water Flow Be Achieved with Air?

• Thread starter kart1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Water
In summary, a vacuum pump or ultrasound can be used to degass water, but it is not possible to do so on flow water. A separate pump would be needed to remove the gas from the chamber.
kart1987
hi, I'm a student and I'm new comer of this forum. my question is about a my project for the university based on degassing a water flow. i know that i can use a vacuum pump or ultrasound to make this on calm water, but is it possible on flow water?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Any process carried out at a low pressure, can probably also be done in a continuous flow, after an orifice that reduces the pressure in a chamber, before the inlet to a pump that restores the outlet pressure. A separate pump would be needed to remove the gas from the chamber.

By coupling a hydraulic motor with a pump having a slightly greater capacity, better efficiency would be achieved. Driving the combination would take less power than an orifice and a pump.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Any process carried out at a low pressure, can probably also be done in a continuous flow, after an orifice that reduces the pressure in a chamber, before the inlet to a pump that restores the outlet pressure. A separate pump would be needed to remove the gas from the chamber.

By coupling a hydraulic motor with a pump having a slightly greater capacity, better efficiency would be achieved. Driving the combination would take less power than an orifice and a pump.
thanks! what pressure the pump of vacuum should be make for a good separation of air? i need that only air separate, not steam.

When the water is at the boiling point there will be almost no dissolved gasses to remove.
The vapour pressure of water varies with temperature, you will always get some water vapour with the air.
You need some “steam” to be sure there is no air left in solution.
You may need to study the phase diagram for water or the steam tables.
Start here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapour_pressure_of_water

Baluncore said:
When the water is at the boiling point there will be almost no dissolved gasses to remove.
The vapour pressure of water varies with temperature, you will always get some water vapour with the air.
You need some “steam” to be sure there is no air left in solution.
You may need to study the phase diagram for water or the steam tables.
Start here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapour_pressure_of_water
ok, i understand, so at 50°F with a pressure near 0.0121atm i can take all the air. perfect!

i need a flow of air without vapour. do you know if a steam trap exists?

kart1987 said:
i need a flow of air without vapour. do you know if a steam trap exists?
Maybe a cold condenser stage could produce liquid water from the recovered gasses.
There are air driers based on refrigeration. There are chemical air drier canisters that would have higher running costs and be expensive in high-flow wet situations. Find out what gasses, in what proportions, may be dissolved in the water.
What are you going to do with the recovered “air”, and why do you need to get it from water ?
What are your expected flow rates ?

i have a water flow of 155L/minute or 9300L/h and i have to degassing it. so if all the air is extracted from the water i have 1.28g/minute of O2 because there are 8.3 mg/L O2 in the water at 25°C (0.08 mol of 02 or 1.793L/minute of O2). recovered O2 could be usefull for more scuba uses, but i need a dryer or a condenser because a scrubber doesn't like water or vapour .

Are you producing degassed water and getting O2 as a bonus or are you primarily trying to extract O2 from water.
Is the scrubber for CO2 ? What is your estimated CO2 yield per litre ?

Baluncore said:
Are you producing degassed water and getting O2 as a bonus or are you primarily trying to extract O2 from water.
Is the scrubber for CO2 ? What is your estimated CO2 yield per litre ?
exactly! I'm primarily trying to extract O2 from water, but i know that some CO2 could be in water, and for this reason i need a scrubber for CO2. i don't know the flow of CO2.

Related to Can Degassing Water Flow Be Achieved with Air?

1. What is degassing water and why is it important for air quality?

Degassing water is the process of removing dissolved gases from water. This is important for air quality because when water is agitated or heated, these dissolved gases can escape into the air and contribute to air pollution. By degassing water, we can help improve air quality and reduce potential health hazards.

2. How does degassing water affect the taste and odor of water?

Degassing water can significantly improve the taste and odor of water. This is because dissolved gases can give water a stale or unpleasant taste and odor. By removing these gases, the water will taste and smell cleaner and fresher.

3. What are the methods used to degas water?

There are various methods used to degas water, including aeration, vacuum degassing, and membrane degassing. Aeration involves exposing water to air, which allows the gases to escape. Vacuum degassing uses a vacuum to remove gases from the water. Membrane degassing uses a semi-permeable membrane to separate dissolved gases from the water.

4. Does degassing water remove all gases from the water?

No, degassing water does not completely remove all gases from the water. Some gases, such as carbon dioxide, are more easily removed than others. Additionally, some gases may be tightly bound to the water molecules and cannot be removed through degassing.

5. What are the benefits of degassing water for industrial processes?

Degassing water has numerous benefits for industrial processes. It can help prevent corrosion in equipment, improve the efficiency of chemical reactions, and reduce foaming and air bubbles in products. Additionally, degassing water can help ensure the purity and consistency of products, which is crucial in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food and beverage manufacturing.